xr6 cam tunnels help

Gun40t

• Member For: 6y 8m 20d

hey guys so recently I removed my cam tunnels to get the rocker cover bolt holes retapped as the previous owner stripped them, ive put them back and an tightened them down just wondering if I have to fix timing or anything like that as one of the cams have raised up at the rear of the motor nothings bent it just raised as I removed the cam tunnels... everything back together so I need to turn the motor over by hand or can I just prime it and start it cheers

I think we spoke about this before, and I was to scared to do it haha, but I did it, I dont have a timing gun, if I start the car and take it to a shop they can check it yeah?

I just started it it's idleing really rough

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Unless you've really farked it up then no. You said you marked it all so you should be ok.

Let's assume you have the cam caps fitted properly or at least torqued down properly.

You could have messed up the cam timing. You could have left a coil plug off. You could have left a cam phaser plug off. You could have forgotten to fit both tb plugs. It's there a vacuum hose off? 

Not giving you grief but you could have done any number of random things that people do when they don't know what they're doing. Double check this.

Don't run the car for extended periods until you have verified that everything is correct.

Check the various plugs first. 

If there is no valve on piston noise when it was running then check the cam timing. Key the engine over as it'll take friggin ages by hand. Don't worry about the crank mark for now. Just confirm that the coloured links line up on the dots on the cam gears.

thanks heaps man, I'm guna check the timing I plugged everything in. I'm 99% sure it sounds like it was running on like 4 cylinders.. I've never had this problem.. all I did was remove the tunnels the rocker cover threads tapped, put them back on I put the rear ones upside down, tried to start it motor kicked over and it sounded like it like a bad misfire, never had a problem with the car I connected throttle body plugs, everything that needed to be done properly.. I'm guessing because the cam tunnel was fitting wrong it's caused this if switched it now, also may have slipped a tooth not to sure

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

At worst you would chew out the head or cap if the journal was offset a bit. You could score the cam too if it ran for long enough.

The car would still run fine but would lose a bit of oil pressure eventually and obviously you would have to replace whatever got chewed up.

Check your rear caps for peace of mind if you like but I'd be looking elsewhere for a funky miss.

I left my small tb plug off once and it idled like sh*t.

Just double check the various plugs cos that's easy and then check the cam timing.

If there's anything super obvious that you haven't mentioned then check that too cos sometimes it is a simple fix.