LOOSE OR MISSING TURBO BOLTS

boost69

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 30d

Guys,

Got into the old mans BF XR6T the other day and it sounded like a tractor, I popped the bonnet and had a look around the turbo area;

I noticed the bolts that hold the exhaust housing on the turbo were loose, one bolt had backed out all the way.

I also tried to have a look at the turbo to manifold bolts, the top two were there, the front bottom one I couldn't see, and the rear bottom I couldn't see with the heat shielding on etc...

Has anyone manged to re do the bottom two turbo to manifold bolts without actually removing the turbo and manifold?

I have bought the studs and bolts but I was having another look at how to do it last night and it seems these bolts are very difficult to get at.

Is there some technique or specific wrench that can make the job easier?

I'm also curious how Ford  Service tightened the bolts seeing as it was part of the service schedule.

Any info or advice is appreciated.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 7d

well, you obviously need to buy replacement studs, in that case.

my post in that thread (#14) tells you which ones to buy. :)

if you PM JETSNOT, he can sort you out with the right parts kit to solve the problem, too, via nordloc washers, gaskets and high temperature nuts/studs.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 18y 10m 30d

I did the turbo bolts on Saturday...

The were a couple on the turbo housing that were loose, and the bottom two studs on the on the turbo to manifold were missing.

Managed to bolt the missing ones...though the front lower one was very hard to get too...so I couldn't tighten it 100%...

Used just a normal extension...thinking I should've bought a wobble bar to get to that one...

• Member For: 13y 9m 7d

I just replaced engine mounts and had to remove the turbo to get at the driver's side top nut on the mount.

All my manifold to head bolts were loose and the turbo to manifold bolts that were still there were finger tight! The two bottom bolts were missing altogether. Once I had the turbo out I found one turbo bolt and it's nut nestled in a recess in the cross member.

I didn't bother getting a new bolt to replace the missing forth one. Three tight bolts has to be better than two finger tight!