Jonny tig VS 6Boost exhaust manifold

Hezabot

• Member For: 7y 9m 9d

I’d be willing to bet my car at the moment Has this issue, I got 384rwkw and have been told my internal gate is not big enough to get any more out of it. The gate is ported to a 38mm, says if there’s any more boost down low it spikes up high (rpm). Reason why I’m going a 50mm external gate (amung other things).

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 25d

That sounds tune related but maybe not?

My gate is 38mm too in the stock housing and it will still make 10psi with the gate arm disconnected from the actuator rod. It'll do nothing until nearly 5 grand though. 

I have logs of 21 psi e85 pulls (450rwkw+) that don't boost creep. I have a recent one on 98 octane and about 19 psi that also shows the gate working fine.

I'll send you a picture tomorrow if you like? 

I have a reasonable exhaust system so I don't think that would be restricting it too much.

I was thinking more along the lines of aiming for 600rwkw might have issues with the hot side. 

That’s what I think, so doing it all (including new tuner).

its on 19psi now (spikes to 21 at some points). Mine also doesn’t fully boost til about 4000, annoys the I <3 Bananas out of me cause it’s got like half a second of full boost in 1st and manual so it all has to start again when I change. Raced an ls a while back with 318 and he hept up with me til 4th. 

I seen a dyno the other day (same turbo and manifold as I’ve got), 518kw and full boost was at 3600 so I guess it’s just the turbo. Lag is a sh*tty thing.

ive got a twin 3” manta (supposed to be good for 800+kw), have to wait for all the new gear to go on then retune it and see what it’s like then.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

4000 is a bit late. Mine (bf) made 20psi on e85 at 3400 in second on one log I just checked. Another log showed 20psi at 3600 in second on 98. There should be slightly better results in 3rd or 4th. Mines an auto though.

I'll pm you some stuff tomorrow that might help. You should see improvements with a better ex manifold and a more suitable spring in the external gate.

Edit: I recall commenting on my boost a while back saying it came in at 3100 or something. That must have been with a different turbo. 

Edited by Puffwagon

• Member For: 12y 2m 14d

Guys I think you're being optimistic that a gen 2 gtx3582 will make 600rwkw, without ringing its neck. Heck, the 4202 Ive got don't seem to make that sort of power until you're pushing reasonable boost, 30+ psi.

As much as the gen 2 stuff has improved, I don't think it's anywhere near the flow you'll require to make that power.

With a 1.06 your stuck at about 32lbs of exhaust flow and 80lbs on the comp side. That's basically at the surge line as well and the comps only about 60% efficient there which is terrible.

Too me, best case scenario that's around the 800 ish crank HP. Take into account the losses and your no-where near your 600rwkw.

I think you're going to need a bigger snail

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Garrett rate it at 85lbs on the comp side and rate the turbo for 850hp.

The gen1 is rated to 750hp and we've seen cars making over 500rwkw with those.

I don't think it'll get to 600 either but it'll get 570 to 580 based from real world results and calculating the difference. It would be wringing it's neck though which isn't optimal and clearly a bigger turbo would last longer at that power level.

39 minutes ago, demon1300 said:

I think you're going to need a bigger snail emoji6.png

Gtx45 or go home :happyfriends:

2 hours ago, demon1300 said:

Guys I think you're being optimistic that a gen 2 gtx3582 will make 600rwkw, without ringing its neck. Heck, the 4202 Ive got don't seem to make that sort of power until you're pushing reasonable boost, 30+ psi.

I know I hoping for a miracle, but at this point it’s all I’ve got. I really wanna see 600 and I will not buy another turbo (at least not just yet), I need to get a bit more use out of this one. Realistically, I haven’t seen one of those turbos do much more that 550 but I’m still hoping mine will be different ahaha. 

11 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

4000 is a bit late. Mine (bf) made 20psi on e85 at 3400 in second on one log I just checked. Another log showed 20psi at 3600 in second on 98. There should be slightly better results in 3rd or 4th. Mines an auto though.

I'll pm you some stuff tomorrow that might help. You should see improvements with a better ex manifold and a more suitable spring in the external gate.

Edit: I recall commenting on my boost a while back saying it came in at 3100 or something. That must have been with a different turbo. 

Tell me about it, the more and more I drive my car the more I think I need a vf club sport. Drove my mates 6.0l not to long ago and there is no such problem, if I do an 11 or better down the 1/4 I’ll be happy though.

Getting another turbo would be good for end result but the bigger you go the more lag you get.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 28d
11 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

Sounds right, on my 98 tune 20psi at just under 3k then taper to 18psi (417rwkw). On E85 full boost 18psi at 2800 and 18psi all the way. (BA) (479rwkw).

The BF full boost not until nearly peak RPM. but this car really puts the power down. 400rwkw 98 15psi. Linear power sort of like a V8.

Both cars have FACTORY turbo.

There is more to it than a bigger flapper and a port job. Two mods can look the same but perform totally different .  

X1hngqX.jpg

Edited by arronm