Big Power Transmission comparison Q's (ZF-6HP26 vs 6R80)

bugeyedcreepy

• Member For: 20y 3d

Not that I've seen a discussion on this yet, but if I'm looking to get huge power through six automatic gears, what are the options for the incumbent ZF auto over the Ford "built under licence" ZF version transmissions?  Firstly, would the 6R80 even bolt up to a Barra 6T given I haven't even heard of this swap yet?  If so, would it be an easier option to manage power given it starts rated at 800nm over a standard ZF's 600nm of torque?  If not, what transmission strengthening can I do with the one I'd already have?

Specifically, I'm looking to have an awd something, something, something with huge power around the 500+ all wheel kw.  Exact details to come, but the car I have in mind is another 1100kg skate on steroids.

Edited by bugeyedcreepy

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

the 6R80 has a bigger input shaft size and corresponding bigger spline, so it won't fit into a 6t crankshaft connection, but of course it can be modified to suit one, with enough money

A modified 6R80 input shaft and associated collars etc in the transmission can be an upgrade option path for the 6HP26...

but it's really unnecessary as the 6HP26 with some uprated clutches and a few other minor modifications can make it handle a stupid amount of power.

• Like 1

• Member For: 20y 3d

Ooh, well then, that is likely the way I need to go.  I gues most horsepower shops will have those rebuilder connections?  or is there one I should go to in order to save myself any middle-man costs?

Edited by bugeyedcreepy

• Member For: 19y 6m 27d

hp26 vs 6r80 are two very different boxs

both in design, manufacturing process and  capabilities.

Firstly its all in the tune. Both boxs in stock form can be tuned to a reasonable leave of performance. The ZFs weakest hard part is the imput shafts, the 6r80 is the planatery gear carrier. For the larger sized components that make up the 6r80 they are let down by the quality in the metal used. Ones made in Germany the other in America.

The Americans have run deep into the 9s on 100% stock 6r80s but they do eventually break. 

Stock ZFs will go 10s with out to many problems, but again they do break.

My stock box went 10.86 @135 with 525rwkw. Full lift off on the 3 4 upshift was required and at those power levels the boxs just aren’t in a happy place.

I have chosen to go down the 6r80 option for many reasons but a fully built ZF tuned correctly is fairly bulletproof.

Even if a stock box holds together as in doesn’t break, the clutches hate there life in stock form.

If the ZF or 6r80 are tuned to shift super fast they will break the major components that aren’t billet. You can spend anywhere from 5000 to 11000 dollars on one if these boxs. 

I have managed to get a good warranty in righting for my 6r80 box so Im happy to give it a go for what its cost me.

Dont buy a box from anyone that is not willing to provide you with the tuning data for the box they build. I know Nizpro wont do this and wont provide any warranty if they dont tune the box. 

Hope this helps some.

sorry for all the typos I rushed that post

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Just to clarify they rebuild the ZF box using 6R80 parts with many internals modifications, including additional friction plates.

This job cant be completed by just any gearbox workshop. Many years of R & D has gone into what works and what doesnt.

Many horror stories of guys spending big dollars and boxes failing. Best do it once , the correct way....

• Like 2