FG Falcon Paddle Gear Shift Mechanism

turbodude

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 12y 22d

Hi Guys, I am in the process of developing a paddle gear shift setup (pretty close to complete) for the FG Falcon auto gearbox. I have had the prototype working well in my car for about a year tweaking paddle shape, switch mechanism design etc. I need to get an idea of paddle (the bit that you touch) powdercoat colours that would be suitable as I have seen a couple of different vehicle interior colour schemes.

My XR6 Turbo has silver trim so silver or maybe just black would be suitable.

I have a friend that has a G6E that has gloss black trim where the silver bits are on my car so I would think black would be suitable in his case.

I did a set in Gloss black but I didn't like the look of it. The set in the photos below (with white background) are powdercoated Satin Black which I quite like (probably hard to tell from the photos though).

I will pre-empt questions about why the paddles are stationary rather than rotating with the wheel. The simple answer is that there is just not enough room between the steering wheel rim and the indicator and wiper stalks especially when they are pulled (high beam and wash) where the stalks almost touch the back of the steering wheel.

I figured it is good enough for the following exotic cars so our humble Falcons should be OK with it:

Ferrari F12, 458, 488, 599

Aston Martin DB11

Lamborghini Merchialago

Lamborghini Aventador

(I am sure there are more, these are just the ones I have noticed)

There are also a couple of photos of an older prototype installed on my car.

Any suggestions of paddle colours would be great or any other feedback.

IMG_5914.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

IMG_5949.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Saw someone doing similar a couple of years ago - don't think we heard any more from it?

I think I'd go the matt black as close to the plastic on the steering column as I could, or a carbon fibre style (aiming to make the paddles out of CF down the track.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 6m 24d

Not anymore unfortunately, PVS automotive are working on a new paddle shifter/wheel setup though for FGs no eta at the moment though

• 1 year later...
  • less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

looks like an interesting piece of kit; actually not bad pricing at ~$400 for such a thing.

Update your thread & your avatar?

https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/95881-been-a-long-time/