boost at 14 at idle

canackas

• Member For: 5y 9m 24d

Hey just getting into the turbo  game, just bought a xr6t tonner but was very sluggish.tested waste gate actuator and could blow through it.

Replaced with a new turbo smart 7/14 psi but it wont open the flapper. My main question is the pressure hose from the front of the turbo when running

has no pressure or vacuum should it have something? I put hose on and could blow air and inhale with ease, should this happen??

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 26d

Its quite confusing what you have said

But the hose from the compressor should goto a small solenoid and then another hose from solenoid to wastegate

Also replacing the wastegate with a higher pressure than standard is a bad idea as you will now over boost

Good chance of your motor going boom if your not careful

Hey Wilko thanks for input the hose from the compressor doesn't seem to build pressure to open the actuator it is hooked up exactly as you said,

but pulled hose from compressor to see if there was any pressure nothing

• Member For: 19y 6m 24d

Possibly the boost reference nipple is blocked. Is there any reminisce of oil in the compressor housing?

If so the nipple it self could be clogged up?

If you disconnect the hose can you blow through it?

Weird!

weird yep the boost nipple on the  front of the compressor, yes can blow and suck with no resistance there is a very slight sign of oil in the entrance to compressor

but nothing to be concerning 

ok just removed turbo and reset the preload on the wastegate actuator better but still feels like theres no turbo, can anyone refer a good dyno tuner on the gold coast I need to get sorted asap as it is a work car, any help would be awesome.

Hi wilko I removed the hose from the electronic boost gauge and held my finger over it then I spat on the end while running and there was nothing

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 20d

As the turbo builds boost ( which it shouldn't at idle) the pressure goes down the hose to the actuator, which is about 7 psi standard, when the actuator see's 7 psi it should move the actuator which opens the flap allowing the exhaust gas's to  bypass the exhaust wheel which should stop the compressor wheel from making more boost. The turbo needs a fair amount of exhaust flow to make it work, you won't get this at idle & probably  not even at light cruise but when you start to accelerate you should start to see boost. Stick a boost guage on & take it for a drive & if it goes over 7psi back of the accelerator & drive it like a busted slug to your tuner!

• 1 month later...

Update took car to hi torque in arundel they said the actuator arm was hitting the heat shield and had no time to fix it. I bought it home removed hose from boost valve and hooked it up directly to a foot pump, actuator arm moved freely hi torque talking sh*t. Alas still have the bloody problem. will know book it into P.I.T at molendinar once I change the springs to 7psi as I fitted a 14psi oops.