Track Day preparation

DaRealSnowman

• Member For: 5y 10m 8d

hay mechanics, automotive engineers and anybody who knows more than me about race/track cars.

So track day with my Mitsubishi 2.5 Twin Turbo and I  blew a turbo because when you go round a corner really fast all the oil goes to the side of the sump and the turbo got no oil (apparently)

track day with Expensive Daewoo SS VE 6 Litre V8  similiar problem, engine overheated and engine warning light kept coming on while driving around the track because oil pump couldnt pump oil out of the sump because oil was sloshing around the sides of the sump.

Never had any problems with Nissan Skyline and or my GTR   but anyway,  No more Mitsis Nissans or Holdens.  I'm a Ford guy now!!!!!!!

I'm about to do a track day in my FG XR6 Turbo (it is stock standard (just the way Ford made it))      (future mods coming (I only just bought it))

My questions is:  What measures should I take to ensure I don't blow a turbo or starve the engine of oil?  Any pre-track modifications I should do to make sure the engine will be safe and reliable for a day of hard and quick driving around the track.

Any advice appreciated.......

• Member For: 6y 11m 17d

Baffled sump, oil pressure gauge minimum. Depending what engine, modification to oil pump, pick up and oil system (not sure how for the barra someone will know). What weight oil were u using?

Edited by adams355

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 24d

Turbo oil feed (earls etc) would be the main thing I'd do.

Tranny cooler the next.

You'll probably be doing cool down laps often enough with stock brakes to keep on top of other temps

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Track quality new front brake pads and flush the brake fluid.  Check the water and oil are full. Tyres are at 40psi. Drive Flatout, till brakes fade. Pit, cool down , REPEAT....

Remove turbo filter if still installed. You wont have engine oil issues. If you are close to an oil change maybe go a 5/50 and use a FULL synthetic at the track.

Edited by arronm

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 24d

Stock standard they are under tyred and under braked majorly.

You will find this out very quickly.

Have a read here. I have been building mine for 10 years.

As has been suggested, I would change all fluids. (Brake fluid to a higher boiling point of 300degC plus.)

Power Steering and Diff Oil too.

Winter is a good time to try them out as they will take longer to over heat.

How many kms has the car done and auto or manual? What tyres are currently on it? (Decent R specs will make a massive difference to the car's composure on circuit.)

If concerned about the Turbo oil line filter, just remove it and replace with an Earl's inline or similar.

If you are confident with the exact oil change history of the car, it's not even required.

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 1m 23d

Stock it will be fine and the brakes will be gone looong before anything else. They will limit you very quickly within 2 decent laps. I've done a heaps of track days skid pan days drags etc in mine stock and tuned. Never had a problem other than brakes and a little fuel surge on a wot 1000m run. Standard brakes are way too small for this car.
Whatever pads and fluid you use they will still overheat if you're tracking it unless you've upgraded to brembos or something else bigger