I got FGXKED over!

NeilFGX

• Member For: 5y 9m 28d

Ok so long story short; I bought a 2015 FGX XR6T ute from a ford dealer - was promised the log books would be supplied but they hadn’t received them yet, fast forward 3 weeks I still haven’t got them and now they’re saying “we don’t have the logs yet, but if we don’t get them we’ll provide you a filled out log book”... I find it suss that Ford would have NO history on a car that only just ran out of warranty... it feels like perhaps they’re hiding its history... Anyways now I’m fuming - I didn’t want the log books so that I could resell the car later, so the forged books they’ve offered, mean sh*t to me.. I wanted them so I knew what had and hadn’t been done. 

Anyways, the car has 3 months of warranty, and I’ve already got it booked in this Thursday for a knock coming from the tail shaft/diff, and a sporadic rattle coming from the engine at idle.. 

I’m wondering what preventative maintenance YOU would be doing if you were in my position & would you be pushing the dealer to offer more than just forged log books?

• FREAKY
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 3m 3d

I know from past when browsing cars at dealers the books do often go missing (dealers take them inside to stop them getting pinched) or they get pinched when the cars are moved around from the yard to other yards etc. 

if ford cant find any service history on any of there database, is there any sticker on the windscreen? usually a dead giveaway.... genuine oil filter on the block? what brand air filter? theres a few things that would indicate if its been serviced by ford or somewhere else.

but no books will hurt your re sale. 

also the dealer should have the previous owners details on hand to be able to track if they let you have it, but due to privacy they prob cant.

back in the day the previous owners name would be on the sale contract card that hangs from the window hahah. do they still do this? 

• Like 1

• Banned
  • Member For: 8y 1m 12d

I feel your pain, but stay away from caryards, feels like the sharks are circling every time I step into one. Things are really tuff at used car lots, who knows what tricks they pull to get a few more dollars on a sale. If you want history you cant beat buying private from a one or second owner.

• Thanks 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 2m 28d

Every time I see a car without log books I look for signs it has higher kilometers than what is on the odometer.

it is very very easy to change the kilometers of a car and get away with it.

Dealers will always make excuses to get a sale. in this case I believe they hoped you'd forget about it in a boost induced high from driving the new car :P

Hopefully nothing bad like this has happened in your case and it's simply that the dealer mis placed the log book....probably on their way to get a low ks wreckers odometer cluster.

Edited by skidxr6t

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 5d

You bought it from a Ford dealer, not Frank's Discount Autos. I wouldn't stress about dodgy maintenance or edited odometer. When they say they can redo the books, they may just mean that can populate them from the service history stored in their systems.

If they did promise the original books as part of the sale and haven't delivered, you could probably push them for a free service or something.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 26d

Since they have not be able to provide a log book, I would get them to get you a log book and fill it out, so you still maintain your resale value.

I would then get them to service the car and do the following for Free!!!

Oil and oil filter service.

Diff oil service.

Coolant flush and refresh.

If Auto, get them to do the trans oil.

Get them to replace the trans cooler as well.

Get them to check the diff bushes as well.

Otherwise they should refund you X amount based on the list above.

Edited by masda74
  • Haha 1