Greendaddy

• Member For: 5y 9m 16d

Hi there needing some knowledge and advice, I've got a 2003 ford ba xr6 turbo auto. I've owned it for around 2 and a half years now and it's always had problems, biggest one is when you put your foot down and hold boost for more than 3 or for seconds it starts to shudder really bad and go into like a limp or safety mode and wants to conk out, only way to stop it doing it is to feather the accelerator numerous times then goes back to normal. No engine lights come up or anything of that sort. I had the spark plugs and Coils changed when I first got it, changed the wastegate, that fixed it for a coupe days then went back to sh*t, changed the wastegate solenoid came good for a few days then went to sh*t again, it started popping and backfiring and over boosting so I changed both map sensors helped it a fair amount but still pops and misses under heavy load and goes into that safety mode again when I hold boost. Really need help and advice on what It could be. Maybe the computer needs a tune or something? Maybe the wastegate flapper isn't opening fully.? It's all stock standard besides a rear muffler delete.. If anyone can help it'd be much appreciated 

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 9d

Do you have an actual boost Gauge installed and know how much boost its getting to? if its over boosting the ECU will cut.

If its over boosting, you can try run the actuator directly from the nipple on the turbo and bypass the factory boost controller, this should give you a solid 4.5 or so PSI....... if your getting more you might have a faulty actuator/stuck actuator.

Hi mate yeah I have a boost gauge, it's seen up to 22 psi ? I replaced the actuator, the boost solenoid, map sensor, boost pressure sensor. I'll try and run it straight from the turbo to the actuator, would I leave the electrical side of it still hooked up or bypass it altogether? 

• Donating Members

Jesus Christ, is this thing modified? ie ECU and injectors

Stock computer and tune wont expect anything more than 7psi and stock injectors will run out of fuel around 11psi........... id says your in dangerous territory getting up that high, dont let it go over 10 if your stock tune.

TBH I think its just a boost controller that its connected to, that vac line in question............so run it direct to the actuator and runt he car, if it get anywhere above 8-9psi just back it off, it should not be that high if you have a stock actuator.....if you have an aftermarket one that will be a different story.

Everything is standard except for the rear muffler delete. I'm not sure the history on the car whether it had other mods before and someone tried to tune it... As is though standard everything. Coming up P1227 closed wastegate failed overpressure 

• Donating Members

do that direct vac line thing mate, should not take much time to changeover....like I said back of around 10Psi.

This test should get you the absolute minum boost your config will run.

If you get up to 10 psi with it setup like this, you have an actuator problem, or potentially a stuck flapper valve (if shes stuck she will just boost to the moon and back)

mines got a 3inch straight thro exhaust, no mufflers cat or anything (sh*tbox racer) and it sees max 4.8 Psi in this same config.

If you hook a vac line from your air compressor, to the actuator and activate it with less than 10psi pressure (use the compressors regulator set right down, regulate it, if you smash like 80psi in there you will bust it up).......you should be able to see the actuator rod move and the flapper open, its ina  *beep* of a spot so maybe record it on your phone.

Had the dump pipe off the other night and put a mighty Vac through the wastegate line and at around 5 psi it started to open it, the flapper looked in decent condition. I've tried just about everything now, losing hope for it. 

Cheers mate will give it a go tomorrow, so just run hose straight from the nipple on the turbo to the actuator.? I'd disconnect the wiring harness for the wastegate solenoid yeah? Sorry for so many questions I'm pretty average when it comes to mechanical things