N/A To Turbo Without Tune?

Camsta97

• Member For: 5y 9m 25d

Awwwrighty so I'm beginning to piece up all the sh*t I need to boost this NA barra I've got, ive got a 2 bar MAP sensor, and the xr6T fuel regulator, if I was to run stock boost with only replacing the fuel pressure regulator until I can get the tune how safe is it to drive around without the tune? Or will it go tick tick boom on me? haha

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

you can put in all of the parts except the map sensor and injectors and it'll run without a tune, but you must stay off boost or it'll easily blow. Then swap the map sensor and injectors when you get to the tuner and get them to tune it

you need a lot more than just a map sensor and the FPR, haha, but I assume you just didn't mention that stuff.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Haha yeah, I was somewhat hoping the xr6T FPR would compensate for lack of tune slightly, I was just interested to see what I could do to semi drive it around boosted without the tune until the funds allow me to drop $1,000 on getting it tuned properly, I wasn't going to go out and start boosting it hard, just if it was to hit 5psi or so for brief periods if it'd handle it, im not overly phased if it does go bang as I have a spare NA motor, and my mates also have spare barra's just sitting around, would you expect it to possibly last 2-4 weeks boosted and untuned? or will I just blow it the first time it spools

• Member For: 8y 5m 21d

I drove mine around for 6 months with no tune haha 6 psi max and an xr6t fpr with stock injectors. Not saying it's a good idea but when I pulled the engine down it was fine, a bit of carbon build up. Put a wideband on if you can.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 10m 20d

With my BA - I took the ECU to someone who swapped the maps for a Turbo map..then just added the different components from the turbo motor.... SO the 4 bar FPR and 2 bar MAP...

I did some other things like the 3 inch free flowing exhaust and custom flipped intercooler setup. 

The stock BA map was around 6 Psi, but as im purely running stock wastegate control im getting around 4.8 Psi.

We went out for a shake down the other day and the car seems to run quite well.

I have an FG turbo intake to swap to & once I do valve-springs ill up the boost a bit - at that stage ill be getting a dyno tune though..

I know the BA BF NA motors only have a 1 bar map sensor, so the computer has no understanding of boost reference (1 bar being atmospheric).

the BA/BF turbos have a 2 bar MAP sensor standard, so it can relate around 14.7psi of positive pressure to the ECU.

Pretty sure, but I haven't checked this, the FG turbo is a 3 bar standard so roughly 30psi positive pressure is readable....I have no idea what the FG NA uses.

With this in mind, I would not run a NA+t setup on an ECU a setup that has no idea if its on boost.

It cost me SFA to have the ecu MAP changed and purchase the MAP and FPR - id say this would be a good route for you.

• 3 weeks later...

little update, Turbo is on, exhaust is on, XR6T FPR is on, water and oil are hooked up, inter cooler is installed, waste gate is connected, ive been driving it around for about 4-5 days now un tuned, WOT, boosting hard all over the place and it seems to be running very well, although it is running incredibly rich but that is expected, only downside to that is the spark plugs sometimes go a bit funny and itll miss and carry on after a long and hard pull (racing a mates VL), fixes itself after a few minutes though, other then that it runs pretty well, had the obd2 gauge plugged in constantly and no faults or knocks detected, 0 detonation, and for some strange reason the standard 1 bar map sensor is reading up to 2.8psi of boost, but yeah aside from being barely able to keep the fuel up to it I have no complaints, its set to be tuned in the next week or so

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

By those symptoms, you are really risking to blow a massive hole in the side of the sump...

The detonation detection is much lesser on the N/A setup, so that might be why... Rich doesn't sound like what it is actually happening... Temperature protection is probably what's going on when you're up it... Fairly lean. You're clearly pegging the voltage output of the TMAP sensor that you're seeing a reading for.

Begins reading boost at roughly 2200 rpm light throttle, by about 3000 rpm it reads constant 2.8, boost gauge goes up to 5 psi and that's where it sits, no codes or any warnings showing up on the data log, if it blows before tune then so be it, NA barra engines are about $150 from the wreckers up here anyway so this is really just a test of strength