T04z anyone??

blow thru

• Member For: 10y 7d

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has used a t04z and how do they rate them on a 4 ltr? I have a proboost t04z with billet front wheel still wondering whether it's worth using on stock bottom end with 20 psi. I've heard they don't really shine till 30 psi.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

It's just a reworked chinese turbo with a 800% markup.

It'll be well in the efficiency range by 20psi on a 4 litre. If you try 20 psi let alone 30 psi expect to picking the pieces of turbine and compressor wheel from your car when the thrust bearing can't keep up.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

Yes they do.

That doesn't change the fact that running 20psi through a turbo that size, on a 4 litre, will be running it in or past peak efficiency and 30psi will kill it pretty quickly. 

With a billet wheel you'd expect that it'd be capable of around 800 to 900hp at the flywheel.

Edited by Puffwagon

Yeah ok fair enough. Do you think it's a worthwhile choice of turbo good enough for 500 rwhp. Will be behind 3 speed with a built convertor? Cheers

11 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

It's just a reworked chinese turbo with a 800% markup.

It'll be well in the efficiency range by 20psi on a 4 litre. If you try 20 psi let alone 30 psi expect to picking the pieces of turbine and compressor wheel from your car when the thrust bearing can't keep up.

Proboost have a good rep with there turbos there on a lot of big cars these days.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

My issue isn't with proboost, it's with chinese turbos. Just because the compressor and turbine numbers can make power, doesn't mean the rest of the turbo will keep up or last for ages.

Onto business though, I don't see why it wouldn't make 500 to the wheels even with the extra drivetrain loss. Depending on the setup you might prefer something with a slightly smaller turbine to get it happening a little earlier.

Similar stuff has been done before on xr6s. Just search youtube for "t04z xr6".

Yes I agree and appreciate your input mate. I was originally after a gtx 3582 and grant from proboost steered me towards the t04z. I'm honestly little concerned about it hence the questions. Now until I'm certain it will be a good turbo without to much lag I don't want to fabricate dump pipe ect to change it down the track. Car will be around 3200lb 3 speed 3.08 rear with prob maybe 3500 convertor. Bf2 motor e85.

Edited by blow thru
Add on

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

No worries mate. I think that Grant was on the right track, based on your driveline.

When you get it all sorted be sure to show us how you got on.

• Like 1