blow thru

T04z anyone??

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has used a t04z and how do they rate them on a 4 ltr? I have a proboost t04z with billet front wheel still wondering whether it's worth using on stock bottom end with 20 psi. I've heard they don't really shine till 30 psi.

It's just a reworked chinese turbo with a 800% markup.

It'll be well in the efficiency range by 20psi on a 4 litre. If you try 20 psi let alone 30 psi expect to picking the pieces of turbine and compressor wheel from your car when the thrust bearing can't keep up.

Yes they do.

That doesn't change the fact that running 20psi through a turbo that size, on a 4 litre, will be running it in or past peak efficiency and 30psi will kill it pretty quickly. 

With a billet wheel you'd expect that it'd be capable of around 800 to 900hp at the flywheel.

Edited by Puffwagon

Yeah ok fair enough. Do you think it's a worthwhile choice of turbo good enough for 500 rwhp. Will be behind 3 speed with a built convertor? Cheers

11 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

It's just a reworked chinese turbo with a 800% markup.

It'll be well in the efficiency range by 20psi on a 4 litre. If you try 20 psi let alone 30 psi expect to picking the pieces of turbine and compressor wheel from your car when the thrust bearing can't keep up.

Proboost have a good rep with there turbos there on a lot of big cars these days.

My issue isn't with proboost, it's with chinese turbos. Just because the compressor and turbine numbers can make power, doesn't mean the rest of the turbo will keep up or last for ages.

Onto business though, I don't see why it wouldn't make 500 to the wheels even with the extra drivetrain loss. Depending on the setup you might prefer something with a slightly smaller turbine to get it happening a little earlier.

Similar stuff has been done before on xr6s. Just search youtube for "t04z xr6".

Yes I agree and appreciate your input mate. I was originally after a gtx 3582 and grant from proboost steered me towards the t04z. I'm honestly little concerned about it hence the questions. Now until I'm certain it will be a good turbo without to much lag I don't want to fabricate dump pipe ect to change it down the track. Car will be around 3200lb 3 speed 3.08 rear with prob maybe 3500 convertor. Bf2 motor e85.

Edited by blow thru
Add on

No worries mate. I think that Grant was on the right track, based on your driveline.

When you get it all sorted be sure to show us how you got on.

T04z on a 4l with all the specs you've listed won't be laggy at all. It will be on song the second you sink your boot into it. Have the same size turbo on similar setup 3000 convertor th400 and it's an instant smoke machine as soon as you stand on it. Will be capable of a mid 9 second pass if the suspension setup is decent in the car.

Was when we started going up to 25psi it would nose over in the top end at the drags. At 20psi it should be ok. This is on a high mounted 6boost setup with big 50mm gate and it was a journal bearing turbo aswell.

I had a cast TO4z wheel on my manual and it was ok, a tad laggy. I have the same size billet wheel now but in the form of a EFR9180 (1.05 rear) and it’s mint.  A billet 67mm will be fine, heaps of people use them. You would struggle to hold 30psi at  the top end with a 67mm, wouldn’t be ideal anyway. 

I had the facotry 3582 high flowed with a 66mm wheel (to4z internals) and it was a pretty good combo on the street/strip. Power came on pretty strong and didnt feel all that laggy either. Ran it at the track with 430rwkw and ran 10.3@134mph

2 minutes ago, OZYWALKER said:

Just get a G2 GTX3582.
Direct fit and sounds just as silly.

Is yours tuned yet? The territory must have better cabin sound deadening cos it's quieter than I remember.

Is yours tuned yet? The territory must have better cabin sound deadening cos it's quieter than I remember.

Nup haven't been arsed to rewire the fuel pumps yet cos new Hilux is the daily now.

On 29/05/2018 at 9:04 PM, IH8TOADS said:

I had a cast TO4z wheel on my manual and it was ok, a tad laggy. I have the same size billet wheel now but in the form of a EFR9180 (1.05 rear) and it’s mint.  A billet 67mm will be fine, heaps of people use them. You would struggle to hold 30psi at  the top end with a 67mm, wouldn’t be ideal anyway. 

This sums it up. ^^^

9 minutes ago, Slowxr6t said:

Just wondering how it would spool? Could be a cost effective option, I can get a low km to4z turbo for a grand.

sh*te on a manual, fairly sh*te on a stock zf and all the sh*te on a stock btr.

Gen2 gtx3582r (66mm billet) is all in by 3100 or so. I imagine a cast 67mm wheel would be in a little later with less hp potential.

Thanks puff, so to confirm, if I just put a gen 2 gtx comp wheel on gt3582 .70 comp cover it would spool faster and potentially make more power than if I bored stock 1.06 housing to take to4z supercore? Because of to4z older tech?