Haltech Falcon plug & play discussing thread

FiftyOne

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 9y 9m 20d

FYI we had discussions with Haltech about offering a cut down version of our product to tune the ZF. If you buy one of these kits and want to tune the ZF we can either put you in touch with someone who can or we can look at offering a ZF only version of PCMTEC. 

Also for those who were curious we are definitely looking into offering flex fuel on the stock PCM. ;)

• Like 4

• Member For: 9y 11m 7d

So nothing came of the discussions @rollex ? Haltech decided not to integrate your system for tuning ZF?

It’s the only feature really lacking for the product and its price.

Also, flex fuel with standard pcm would be just...:imsohappy:

• Member For: 9y 9m 20d

Yes they definitely want it and it can be done, I just think they haven't had any customers push them to get it done so it is just in limbo until someone pushes the go button. I suspect they are still very busy trying to get the ZF integration working better along with getting their other Falcon products out.

The only thing holding us back was how to license the TCM. Currently we offer it for free when you tune a PCM. So we just need to add some detection around the Haltech ECU, or offer a completely standalone product that can do 1x ZF TCM.

Most of the Haltech premium dealers are already PCMTEC customers so they are simply using the workshop package to tune the ZF in those cases. It is only the DIY guys that would be interested in a ZF standalone PCMTEC Editor.

Anyway if anyone does want to tune the ZF with our software and doesn't want to purchase the full product contact us we can definitely sort something out at a discount. We just haven't had anyone actually directly ask for it yet so its sitting on the backburner until there is some demand. From what I can tell the overwhelming majority of Haltech customers are either manual or using a different automatic box.

Regarding flex fuel on the standard PCM the idea we are floating is to use the second O2 sensor as the ethanol sensor input. It will need a frequency -> 0-5V converter as well, however they are quite cheap and readily available.

Edited by rollex
  • Like 2

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 4m 28d

I am definitely up for one of these ECUs. The possibilities are almost endless compared to the stock ECU. The ability to add fuel/oil pressure sensor/wideband o2 sensor to protect your engine which you just spent $10k on is priceless. Going into limp mode when the ECU detects lean outs, automatic tuning based on long term fuel trim and applying those self learned maps to the base tune. Rally anti lag to stay on boost between gears, flat shifting, traction control that actually works and is adjustable to infinity settings AND have a switch/rotary dial to select different traction control/boost levels/redline/anti lag/rally anti lag etc. That stuff is native on million dollar supercars and you get it all in a plug and play kit. Best thing is you can bring it home connect your laptop and play around with the extra features like engine protection, adding sensors etc and not have to be an expert tuner. Per gear boost control and have that setup on a rotary dial. Leave the tunnig to the tuner and you learn and do the rest.

All the things you wish your stock ECU does, it does,....except for ZF, but I have a manual so don't care :) 

I am just looking for the right tuner to tune it. There is no point buying one if you are going to use it like a stock ECU. The advanced features is where this the aftermarket ECUs shine.

My setup is going to have a flex fuel sensor, no need to change tunes at the servo.

Traction control on a rotary dial so I can select the amount of slip allowed from front to rear wheels. Each position on the rotary dial will allow more slip and the last position will be off.

Combination rotary dial settings, traction control/per gear boost/rally anti lag. This will let me have full aggressive settings for play time and more relaxed settings for relax time.

Engine protection using wideband, fuel pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor/knock. Limp mode for mild problems and shutdown for catastrophic problems.

Having a 600kw rear wheel drive street car and have a traction control system that will actually work and let you put power down without having to run 15 inch drag tyres.

I am soooo excited about this product, but it will take some homework about what you want it to do and how you want it to work. It's not like the stock ECU where you get an engine map and that's that. You need to be properly involved with the tuner and the product to make it worth while.

https://www.haltech.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/HAL_FeatureSheet_Elite2500-final.pdf

• Like 3

• Member For: 12y 1m 20d

Yeah I'm keen as faaaaark to get mine in as its just sitting on the bench waiting for firmware.. Along with the wideband kit I've already got, the flex and fuel pressure sensors are on order

For me the safety and felxibility was a no brainer over the factory comp.

I'm trying to work out whether to ditch the eboost2 I'd just brought and fitted or keep it and run it as an input into the Haltech so I get in cabin boost control. It really would be a glorified boost gauge with switch though as I'd prefer the Haltech to do the boost control if at all possible.

I'm even contemplating a racepak for the column to give me all the nice outputs I want like flex content. Not sure I can justify the cost just yet as they are expensive little buggers!