BA Turbo - build thread (sort of)

El Andrew

• Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

From memory (cleaned the boost solenoid a while back) it's just the usual vac hose via the boost solenoid, but I'll check it out.

The turbo guy apparently set everything up as it should be stock, so I'm expecting that's what I'll find.

Edit: I'm guessing you are asking because if the compressor housing is hooked straight to the wastegate, I'm running boost off spring pressure only and anything I change in my boost tables will do nothing?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Yeah that's why I was asking. There's not much point frigging around with the boost tables etc, if the boost solenoid isn't working. 

I don't know if you've read about it but pcmtec has a return to stock wizard that might come in handy. You can make a stock tune for your car before you license the current tune.

The details are on their forum. 

• Gold Donating Members

Thanks guys.

I'll have a look and let you know how I go. Yeah I did think about the return to stock thing. If it is just those tables I can manually fix, but if a muppet has been poking around it might be best to start from a clean sheet.

If I set desired boost to zero (and WGDC to 1) and flash that in, I imagine I'll get a good idea whether the solenoid is working or not. If it boosts at all, the solenoid is either not plumbed in right or isn't working.

I might also have to take back a few things I've said about high flow cats. While I still don't think a new cat is going to suddenly detonate your motor while your idling at the lights, I was obviously never going to see an MIL due to overboost when I'm commanding 17 psi!

PS looks like return to stock isn't available for the enthusiast version (although may be worth the upgrade if my file is rooted). However the compare function should show me if anything else has changed in my file from stock.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

The engine light can be turned on or off for various functions and as your car has been previously tuned I wouldn't assume anything is doing what it should be. 

You're always going to run gate pressure unless you set everything below that and set the over boost to where the car won't run properly.

There is more to the boost control than those two tables as you're probably aware. You'll need to either compare a stock file or use the return to stock wizard. I just read your last comment, it's only another $300 isn't it? 

Unless it's the opposite from hptuners I wouldn't be setting my wg duty cycle to 1, even to see what will happen, as it is 100%. If other boost settings have been played with then you might break a ringland or 6 cos there might be nothing stopping it from boosting to the moon. Just put stock values in there to start with.

Also those pictures you posted before will be in inches of mercury. 10psi = 20.36 in hg.

Crikey that's a bit of a novel :oooh:

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

If you think the solenoid is dodgy. $60.  And WD 40 does SFA, its a myth the does more harm than good.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-FORD-BA-BF-FG-MK2-FALCON-SX-SY-TERRITORY-TURBO-WASTEGATE-SOLENOID/300969863018?epid=0&hash=item461333a76a:g:O6kAAOxyXDhSgDst

• Like 1

• Gold Donating Members
Unless it's the opposite from hptuners I wouldn't be setting my wg duty cycle to 1, even to see what will happen, as it is 100%. If other boost settings have been played with then you might break a ringland or 6 cos there might be nothing stopping it from boosting to the moon. Just put stock values in there to start with
Just to clarify, what I meant was to attempt to command zero boost and then give it a gentle drive around the block to see if the solenoid was doing its job or not, before flashing in a stock map. Not planning any earth-shatteting kabooms here!

I'll start with the file compare so I know more where I'm starting from.

That's a good point re inhg. Feel a bit silly for not noticing some of the bigger numbers in the stock tune. In that case, my tune numbers might be less of an attempt to disable facty boost control by using extreme numbers and more a clumsy attempt at giving someone an 8 psi tune. If so, I hope no-one got charged good money for that!

Lots of learns for me here, which is good!

• Gold Donating Members

Thanks man - appreciate it!

Did a quick file compare before dropping off the kids this morning. There are transmission and timing tables edited, which I'm not inclined to trust given the approach taken to boost control.

I'll take a closer look before deciding what next.