Help needed pleaaaase!

Leighxr6T

• Member For: 6y 2m 23d

Ok I’ve read page after page after page....

heres where it starts....

bought a ba xr6 turbo Automatic and it came with a x3 flash device that has custom tunes, base 4-5 psi - 8psi - 10psi. Car drives great no weird noises or anything of the like. 

The problem I’m having is to do with a overboost/limiter issue. This is the 10psi tune. Car accelerates great but once it hits the 10psi mark it either goes to 12psi or it hits 9-10 and it’s like a rev limit and the exhaust makes an almost ‘flame’ sound? And the boost gauge flickers up and down 1psi. Mostly this happens with WOT. Especially does it when just in Drive and going WOT, not so bad in sport mode because I can shift before it gets to the almost misfire stage and goes weird. Most times regardless of in drive or sports mode it’s around 4000rpm. Sometimes though in drive and sports mode it will rev out and hit boost perfectly and have no issues but it’s very short lived and then it’s back to ‘missing’ 2 minutes later. 

Now when I put it back to stock it hits 5 psi steady as can be at WOT but as it hits 5000-5500rpm it makes the same weird flame limiter noise. 

Heres what I’ve tried.

•New plugs gapped to 7.5

•New boost control solenoid

•Clean throttle body

•Tighten all hoses that I can access

•Run turbo hose straight to wastegate (hits 5-6psi and goes great

•Disconnect battery for 10 minutes and then drive WOT

New coil packs will be here by the end of the week as there about the last thing I can think of that I can do myself, there still originals and car has done 170,000ks. 

So if anyone can help me that would be AWESOME! I’ve read so many threads that seem to be my problem and they either never come back with the solution or I’ve tried what they’ve done to no avail. 

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

Close that plug gap a bit more. 0.7 mm is what I'd run. If I knew my plug gap was that big and it was misfiring it's the first thing I would do.

That being said, your coils are old, so you may as well wait until your new coils turn up, as they might sort it out.

Let us know how you go when the new coils are in.

Thanks for the quick reply!
Well funnily enough the problem seemed worse before and I gapped them down from .83 but figured that when I went .75 that of it didn’t go away it was something else.

I’ll definitely be reporting back as I go so as to have a reference for others who have the same issues

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 21d

All good mate.

If the coils are stuffed then smaller plug gaps might not solve it. If you do gap them before you get the new coils and it doesn't come good I would get too bothered.

The reason it's the first thing I'd check is because 1) I run 0.7 gaps and 2) it's free to gap plugs.

I'd wait for the coils if they're on the way cos it'll save some stuffing around but there's nothing stopping you from trying it anyway.

• Like 1

Alright, new coils went in today.
Didn’t regap because I thought I would see how I go and then go from there.
Also changed the lower control arm (so fun)

The results are.............. FIXED!!

Hallelujah! Thanks for the advice mate :)

I'm dyslexic and cannot turn off simple functions in tapatalk

• Like 2