fg cyl head difference

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

bugger... would help if I read the title properly haha

FG is different in exhaust valves and valve springs only. Cams are the same part number, so seemingly should be the same.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 28d
On 07/04/2018 at 9:01 PM, k31th said:

bugger... would help if I read the title properly haha

FG is different in exhaust valves and valve springs only. Cams are the same part number, so seemingly should be the same.

Just a quick question..

What exactly is the difference with the exhaust valves?

And is the FG head different from the BA-BF head?

As I'm looking into building up my new motor from a very low km fg engine, and I will have a variety of parts to use from my current engine and the FG engine I plan on buying.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

N/A exhaust valves are just regular steel (or whatever material they are made of; can't remember tbh and cbf looking it up right now) and the turbo ones are an inconel blend which takes more heat.

FG head is a completely different entity, basically... different cams, different valve springs, different valve sizes, a second VCT to have both intake/exhaust controlled on FG's.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

the FG has the dual VCT, the B-series doesn't. The B-series head is fine to use if you're going to be porting it anyway and fitting quality parts :)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 5y 2m 28d

yeah, from what I have seen of the ports in the B series heads there are some easy CFM to be gained from a little  blending of the ports from the back of the valve and the sudden reduction of the port size at the end where the manifolds mate up.

I have done quite a bit of porting over the years on various ford heads, and it makes the job so much easier with all of the ports being the same shape and size.

That allows me to do one of them to a finished state, then cc it with water to give me a volume. Then grind the rest to those specs.

I ported a pair of E7TE heads on a EL XR8 once and fitted a ford AU 200kw cam, and lined it up with an EF XR8 that was fitted with GT40 heads, manifold and a much better crow cam.

And by the time I hit 100km/h the other car was at least 3 lengths behind me, when we pulled up and started talking about what was under the hood he couldn't believe my heads and manifold that was fitted! He was making 50+kw more than the "HO 5L" that was originally in both our cars.

Just shows how much can be gained by helping the flow with a little porting.