NZ Cruise 2018. Sept 8-15, South Island

Rab

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

White van's for them - am going to get them to sell brown box speaker systems to the Maori's out of it while we tour to fund the trip

We'll be waiting in the Merc at the pub for them each night to roll up, cash out and restock for the next day.

(look up white van speaker scam if you have no idea what I'm talking about - it's quite often Maori pulling those off around here)

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
On 6/25/2018 at 9:58 PM, k31th said:

tempted to join if we can hire good car(s) like that...

Am booking in flights and locking in dates tomorrow night - will let you know what's planned after that if interested.

Will be looking at cars, routes, accommodation over the next week or so.

It looks like it'll be Sat 8th morning fly out, Sat 15th arvo fly home at the moment.

Any locals or people who've done the South Island before - any recommendations or ideas for the Queenstown, south west etc then up to Christchurch via the east coast would be fantastic. 

Any day trips (roads) from Christchurch would also be brilliant (we're dropping one off in Christchurch on the weds for "stuff" for a few days - will work out, depending on who comes whether we base ourselves in Christchurch or go further afield). Will probably be swapping the decent car for a shitter when we get to Christchurch if it ends up being just me and a mate for the couple of days there - that could change though if there's more excitement to be had ;)

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Flights booked - Sat 8th til Sat 15th

Queenstown up to Christchurch

PM me if keen and want to join the flights.

Sunday 9th will begin the main cruise til Wednesday arvo

Thursday til fly out on Saturday will be from Christchurch - day or overnight trips - TBA

20 points for every Hobbit we hit on the way out of Queenstown

Free burger for every 100 points.

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Email/booking sent to the place with the AMG - will be interesting to see how much better/worse it is than my daily.

Am tipping that everyone who's not driving will be more comfy.

Got to be better than an airport hire car.

Am I right that it's >$2.00l for petrol over there?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 14y 2m 11d

So I think it is about $2.38.9c per litre for 98 at the moment but that could go up as some new taxes are coming into effect about now.  You can only get 98 from BP fuel stations and not all of them.   For 95 your looking around the $2.30 mark and that is usually at all fuel stations.

Depending on numbers I can probably offer up some accommodation in the Chch area towards the end of your trip as long as ya not expecting much.  If possible I will still look at traveling down and joining you for the trip.  As mentioned earlier Radar detectors are allowed just not laser jammers, a lot of the police use the instant on function though so unless someone in range ahead of you gets checked you may get no warning until they have ya.

Keep us posted on what you come up with.  Looks like I will have some common days off when you are about.

• Like 2

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Cheers bud, will do.

Any decent roads or side trips on the way up from Queenstown would be awesome.

Will be doing all???? the tourist/scenic stops on the way up.

Will be the Sunday, Monday and Tuesday night we have on the road headed to Christchurch (need to hit town early Weds arvo I think - one of the blokes with me has got a conference on)

He'll be out of action from then so will be me and one other in a cheap hire car doing the day trips or overnight trips from Christchurch Weds/Thurs/Fri nights - fly out sat.

Any suggested stops for the night - between Q and C would be welcome.

Anywhere we shouldn't stop?

Want/need to visit Milford Sound.

Scenic, vistas etc are important, cultural stuff isn't.

(fuel here is about $1.60?? for PULP 98)

• Donating Members

Sorry I have my dates way up the s**t.  Probably can't do the Accommodation bit as have some students still in here till 15th according to info I have.  I should be back in the country from another holiday on 7th of Sept so will look at joining trip but hard to say at the moment.

There are a few roads it is about making sure you get to Chch when required.  I'll come back to you on that one.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Right so have a 2 day pathway for Queenstown to Chch which could be spread out to 3 days if you wish to stop in lots of places.  Uses the West coast road as a path which does have some good corners etc, just don't want to get stuck behind someone and have it ruined of course.  Then from Greymouth use Lewis Pass which does take you further North to then end up South and in Chch on the East coast.

This then leaves a couple of Day trips which have some nice driving parts to them, 1 is Back towards Greymouth to Lake Brunner (Moana) but on a more direct route with good hill road.  2 is Chch to Akaroa which has a great hill round also.  Easy return trips.

After that it would be more about going to see something as the roads after all that are pretty damn straight.

So in what I have attached:

Day 1 525km
Day 2 321km

Daytrip 1 209km each way

Daytrip 2 82km each way

Probably a good start to your planning.

Day1.jpg

Day2.jpg

Daytrip1.jpg

Daytrip2.jpg

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

You're a freaking champ 

One goal for me is Milford Sound (has been since geology class in 1984???)

Would that be easier as a trip from Christchurch or from Queenstown?

Can do it from either end - either on the way to CHC or as an overnight trip from there (once we drop off the other traveller)

(or - is it not even worth a visit?)

edit: never even considered the west coast - was thinking eastwards and up from QT