American here! I have a few Barra questions.

Mustangman570

• Member For: 10y 6m 1d

As far as I understand some of the weak points of the Barra are the head bolts, valve springs and oil pump gears. I know ARP makes head studs so that is one problem solve. My main question os the oil pump gears. Are they the same as the 4.6/5.4? I can get those easily over here in the USA, which would make things easier for me. Also, are the valve springs the same as a 4.6/5.4 or anything else that is easily acquired stateside?

• Bronze Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 8m 27d

Hi mate, I wouldn't say straight off the bat that bolts & gears are needed.   Most people seem to do the springs regardless, even with slight boost increases as I've been told by a tuner that he was uncomfortable with aged springs in that case.

Re the other two, it depends how crazy you are going and what the application is.   Obviously higher boost & compression will dictate something to be done there.  I'm running 16psi and it's standard bolts.  Maybe if you're racing at that you'd upgrade for safety, however I don't feel the need personally.    The standard gears are fine for standard use too.  The thing that seems to kill them is more revs & the lash from banging on the limiter.  Again, if you're racing it or going down the crazy street path it's not something to worry too much about.
The later series Barra engines for a street application will output high 300kw's at the flywheel with minor mods.  If you're stuffing this thing in a stang you're going to have enough drama without needing to mess with the engine too much, and those parts can be put in later if you wish.  I'd keep it simple for starters

Edited by FiftyOne
*assuming mustang, bolts not studs

• Member For: 10y 6m 1d

Thanks. That does help some, but since these engines are a major pain to have imported and not exactly cheap, I would rather do the oil pump gears at a minimum to make sure I don't hurt it once its in. Does anyone know if the 4.6/5.4 pump gears are the same? I can always order some from atomic, but if I can get them more locally it would help on cost. 

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

This

19 hours ago, FiftyOne said:

The standard gears are fine for standard use too.  The thing that seems to kill them is more revs & the lash from banging on the limiter.  Again, if you're racing it or going down the crazy street path it's not something to worry too much about.

should be

19 hours ago, FiftyOne said:

The standard gears are fine for standard use too.  The thing that seems to kill them is more revs & the lash from banging on the limiter.  Again, unless if you're racing it or going down the crazy street path it's not something to worry too much about.

@Mustangman570 If you're going to the trouble of importing a barra I doubt it's to baby it on the school run. What sort of power are you aiming for?

Big factor on pump gears is whether you're running auto or manual trans; manual being much more likely to destroy them. I'm making approx 440rwkw/590rwhwp (manual) on std gears but my sphincter tightens every time I bump the limiter and I'll eventually upgrade the whole pump.

Atomic has a refurb/swap pump option with billet gears, end plate, bypass circuitry and a few other little tricks which I'll be going for, I have a pump I pulled from a N/A donk sitting in the garage for when the time comes.

http://www.atomicperformanceproducts.com/oil_pumps_&_components.html

Can't help on 4.6/5.4 valve springs or other parts sorry. @Puffwagon  @ratter @JETURBO ?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

I measured a stock bf turbo spring and looked up some comp cam spring specs for the 4.6/5.4. They aren't the same but they are very close. I noticed that some 4.6/5.4 springs have slightly different measurements.

These are the measurements I got from a stock xr spring. I noticed that the spring wasn't completely round and they are very slightly different lengths from being used.

Outside Diameter

1.015/0.959

Inside Diameter

0.710/0.640

Spring length 2.063

I'm not sure on the installed height or the other various measurements for the xr springs. The info is probably on the net somewhere. Apart from physically fitting in the head and matching the retainer, you need to make sure that a spring wont bind up at full lift, and that it has enough but not too much pressure for the application.

I looked up the oil pump gears and while they look pretty similar you'd have to measure them. Sorry I can't help more there. I could probably measure a set of stock xr gears over the next couple of days if that's any help.

I put some springs through the plazmaman cart and postage to the states was about 100aud so it's not too bad.

Your best bet would be to contact an aussie workshop that works on mustangs and xr's for further information. Cms @joe@cms springs to mind and I'm sure a bit of research will turn up others.

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Hey @Mustangman570

why dont you get a list together of what you want and ill happily source everything for you, box it up and send it to you through a Pack n send company /TNT/HPS style company that way you will get the right parts first time :) 

if you're interested buzz me a PM 

• Like 3