Ef Xr6 500kw 10sec manual sh*tter

eff xr6t

• Member For: 10y 5m 27d

They are a standard e series falcon front camber arm bush. I bought a full front rebush kit that was cheaper with the camber kit then to buy separately so I just used them to make the engine mounts for cheap. Definitely noticed the change when I fitted them. Not really vibrations but just that the noise transfer from the motor is more noticeable. But this car has a big cam, spooled diff and a solid ceramic clutch and I find no issue with driving it daily so my tolerance to things like that must be higher then the average person

• 7 months later...

Little update on this sh*t heap. Had the diff built now runs a 9 inch with 35 spline axles strange 3.250 case with motive 3.7 gears and a full spool so its bullet proof...

Its had a busy last few months while I was waiting on the diff I pulled the motor for a while and welded all the holes in the engine bay smooth all the spot welds and removed anything I didnt require and got my spray painter mate to give me a hand and advice on my first go at painting. Also deleted the header tank made a top housing for the thermostat with a cap and welded over the now not required fittings on the radiator.

L1gr1EF.jpg

Headgasket has been showing signs of leaking for a while now and the removal of the header tank brought it to the surface at powercruise. Over the whole weekend im pretty sure I put over 100litres of water through the motor. Still had a good weekend of beating up on it for 10-15 laps then come in and fill it with more water hahaha.

7EticVs.jpg

After powercruise I put a fresh gasket in it ready for west coast nats and took it back for more punishment. After west coast I took it back to the track to go for a low 10 time slip now I have a diff that will hold up. Got 5 passes sorting out the closed loop boost control and tune before it broke and had a serious gearbox whine in the breaking area. Upon investigating I pulled the entire gearbox down to find no issues so went looking back to the flywheel while bolting the pressure plate on I noticed the flywheel rock on the back of the motor. So pretty sure I found the cause of the gearbox whine I pullled the motor friday night and this is what I found....

6j3QAkq.jpg

1iiJdoo.jpg

Motor was still running perfectly and didnt make any noises at idle or while running to indicate the break. Plan is to wash everything and put another crank in with the old bearings and see how much further it can go. Stock rods and pistons still hanging in there and loving life as allways.

Edited by k31th
fixed pics
  • Like 4

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

that's some serious damage to the crank... it was absolutely amazing that it was still holding in there with a large bit of cracking like that. :bowdown: :buttrock: :icon_ford:

Cheers for fixing the pics Keith I ran out of edit time to fix them last night haha. 

Yeh was pretty much only all holding together because of the break being behind the no6 big end journal. The only way I could tell there was an issue was the gearbox noise and if this was an auto I don’t think there would of been a way to know that it was broken. So people with transbraked autos and standard cranks I would be slightly worried if your transbrake happy haha

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

no worries :)

ahh yeah, the damage being that far back probably does have a lot to do with hiding it. Did the engine seem unbalanced at all? not rocking around too much in the car?

Didn’t seem unbalanced at all, the motor is pretty well solid mounted with the engine mount style so it’s pretty easy to feel any vibration through the car. Think it’s just from years of dumping 4th and being so limiter happy the shock loading has started a fracture until it’s cracked through. It was doing near on 7000rpm at full track when it let go so I’m very suprised it didn’t go rods out and spray sh*t everywhere.

• Like 2

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer

haha, yeah, you can probably count yourself a bit lucky in that respect, but also mad respect for smashing it like that :spoton: :buttrock:

• Like 1

After pulling the rest of the crank and cutting the filter I decided to pull the head and clean everything as I wasn’t happy with what I found. When I pulled the head I found that the pistons have touched the head probably from when the crank has let go at high rpm. Number 6 is the worst and has physically touched the others look to have just hit the carbon and left there mark. Can see the lathe marks from the piston in the head.
f754cc92eb70d4a106f712f4adc6db18.jpg

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 4y 2m 28d

Hey mate I wanna ask you a few questions about your ef I have one I have just been lazy left it in the shed for 6 years it got 280kws on 8psi and is now running 14 couldn’t get readings but my mates dyno was hard to get traction on