Oil catch can installation

SNBO5T

• 3 weeks later...
  • Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 16d

There's been a few helpful catch can threads recently but this one is the latest so thought I'd post up here.

Went to supercheap the other day to check out their calibre catch cans.

Finding out that they don't have anything in the way of filters or baffles in them I thought I'd make my own instead.

I've done a bit of research on here and in general, plenty of helpful stuff around, a few links that may help anyone looking for more basic info on the subject

http://www.enginebasics.com/Engine Basics Root Folder/Catch_Can.html

http://speednation.com.au/do-I-need-an-oil-catch-can/

https://www.redline-motorworks.com/blogs/news/50063555-how-does-an-oil-catch-can-work-and-why-is-it-beneficial

So if I'm going to go to the effort of making my own catch can(s) - and I need to, fair bit oil residue in the intake when I changed the oil the other day - I may as well do a decent job.

The scribble below is one of the ideas I'm thinking of, the other was more relying on baffles than a filter whereas this is a little bit of both.

Pot to be a piece of 3" staino tube with domed tube cap or just a flat base and a drain, top end of tube has a ferrule union (hygienic union we use regularly at work and readily available); ferrule welded on the 3" tube, a ferrule cap for the top and standard seal between, just a hand-tightened clamp connection so top is easily removed if required.

Inlet goes through the top of the can, say a 5/8" or 3/4" tube welded to the ferrule that ends in a 45~90deg bend to avoid blowing any oil in there around.

A ring welded to the ID of the 3" tube supports stainless steel wool 'filter'. The filter is clamped in position by another (overlapping - sort of a baffle) ring welded to the OD of the inlet tube, outlet is above running back to the intake.

Welded bracket for mounting.

Thoughts? 

5cvROIztYxpBsFEGbCjs4RrHg_v9KRxRFYw7yQIt

TL;DR

Pic above is a new way to steam asparagus, cheers

Edited by camo86T

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d
1 hour ago, camo86T said:

Thoughts?

It might need more steel wool?

You could run a sight glass up the side to see how full it gets.

Either way it'll be better than just sending the blow by into the intake with no filtering.

The icing on the cake would be a controlled before and after test of how much it affects the engines resistance to detonation.

It'll keep the intake and intercooler piping cleaner at any rate.

It's nice to see someone taking the time to research and understand something, rather than asking others to solve it for them.

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

This is the can to buy. Its a proper oil/air separator. Feeds in at the bottom and out at the top.

Your drawing is correct in that  the oil filters in an upwards direction just slightly different to the attached link. The one I attached even has a baffle in the inlet.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OIL-CATCH-CAN-SUIT-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-LS1-LS2-LS3-VT-VX-VY-VZ-VE-VE-V6-BLACK/120793190513?hash=item1c1fd5d071:m:mfUI9EIr-YrVJ_Pm8BZ4SHg

This is the inlet with baffle, then is filtered through the medium and clean air out the top.

s-l1600.jpg

I have catch cans on rocker breather and PCV ( which is where most of the oil comes from). One way valve needed if you install on the PCV  circuit.

N4WTBaG.jpg

Edited by arronm
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 5y 1m 2d
On 04/02/2018 at 8:31 PM, Puffwagon said:

If you weren't returning it to the intake then you would have a filter on top to let the crankcase pressure escape. It's not a lot of pressure in a road car but it would probably pop yoyour dipstick out if it wasn't relieved.

hi

I have catch can connected to crankcase with breather on top (filter). 

I have notice steam out of the breather (filter) sometimes. just making sure that normal  due to high temperature air coming from engine.

thanks boys