Whining noise

SHMIKO_S14A

• Member For: 6y 8m 23d

Hey guys, started my car up yesterday after giving it a wash and it’s making a whining noise in all 4 gears under any sort of load. Also makes the noise in reverse. Does not make the whining noise when it’s in either park or neutral free revving so I’m assuming it’s trans related. It will even do it when I put my foot on the brake and stall it up a bit.

The whining sound coincides with the RPM of the engine as in it gets higher pitched with higher RPM.

The transmission has had an oil flush about 6 months ago along with a billet servo and new shift solenoid done at MV auto’s and has been generally running fine since then although it does slip when hitting 3rd/4th gear under full throttle at higher RPM’s sometimes. Any ideas as to what this could be? I know I’m probably looking down the road of a trans rebuild but hoping someone else has had this whining noise before and knows what the cause was.

Cheers in advance.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

A transmission issue after a wash? Are you sure it only started when you washed it? :ermm:

What's the model and modifications?

Sorry forgot to list mods, PWR front mount, 650cc Siemens injectors, 4 inch dump into 3.5 inch with high flow cat, Walbro 255.

And obviously the transmission work mentioned in my first post.

Edited by SHMIKO_S14A

• 3 weeks later...

Ended up having the transmission fully rebuilt and noise is now gone, took it in to a good transmission place and they said it was the converter bearings squealing so decided to bite the bullet and get it built and strengthened.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

why didn't they just fix the converter? no point getting the gearbox re-built unless you're also going to strengthen the motor a bit, being a skinny-rod BA, imho. But as long as you're happy, it's all good :)