PCMTec - SCT/HP alternative?

ratter

• Member For: 17y 10m 1d
@ratter @rollex, I moved the thread here and renamed it - looks like a very promising contender/arrival/option for tuning the XR6T's moving forward.

Yep, they're finally here!

With the release of PCMtec tuning software and the access to a lot more VCT tables, we were able to spend some time and see what was available as far as control allows.

Mick has cracked how to control them at idle and has produced the first true Ghost cam on the Barra using a factory ECU.

It's no where near finished but does show it is possible.

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

Saw that on FB and was going to ask about the PCMtec next time the car was in :)

Looks almost too good to be true - Is there anything this is missing compared to HP and SCT?

Still early days with it or up and running already?

From their page it mentions 3 credits?? per car - is that 3 total tunes?

Customer can flash from their lappy any time?

Hows the speed vs SCT?

Does it have the same chance of the flash failing when doing the TCM when the car is hot?

• Member For: 17y 10m 1d

there is way more than SCT which is more than HP, but we can not flash the TCM, but is going to be rectified very shortly.

It was released to the public 3 or 4 weeks ago, but there is varying levels of software choice and the lower levels do not have the same coverage as the workshop level.

At this stage it flashes direct to the ecu and takes 54-59 seconds to flash to the ecu, I'm sure it will take a little longer once it communicates with the tcm, but I believe that we will have the choice of flashing to it or not, just like we do with SCT and HP.

Yes 3 credits per car, but the car can only leave the workshop with one tune installed, there is talk of some sort of flash device at a later date.

The TCM temp thing seems to be a ZF thing so still may be an issue, time will tell.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

That sounds like it could shape up to be awesome - a much more powerful suite for the tuners to use.

Probably the most exciting progress/movement with our cars in years?

Will even more than now come down to the tuners skills/abilities/knowledge of the cars and the software? 

• Member For: 9y 9m 20d

Hi Rab. If you are a tuner check out our demo at https://www.pcmtec.com

We have the ZF mapped and reading currently, next release will have full read/write/edit of the ZF transmission included, most likely a month away at most.

The goal is to make our software the best software to use for tuning Australian Fords. I believe we are on track and over the next year should be able to reach our goals which are:

OEM level access to the BA/BF/FG PCM and TCM

A GUI that is more user friendly and powerful than SCT/HPTuners.

Map tracing combined with datalogging.

Provide fast local support.

Right now we have achieved OEM level access to the PCM and our GUI I believe is coming along nicely, there are many many features we still want to add over the coming months. Essentially the software will never be "finished" as I believe software is an ongoing process that requires constant improvements that will be driven by our customer feedback.

To help existing SCT tuners transition we have added a similar style compare view (with added features) along with a similar parameter layout to help find scalars/tables. We have also added an "Enthusiast" view which limits the number of tables visible (also cheaper) which makes it easier to find the parameters required for simple mods.

Edited by rollex
  • Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

@rollex

Nah, not a tuner  - @ratter looks after my car for me - couldn't ask for a better person to make sure I stay on the right track ;)

My car runs a JTG LPG setup, so need to be able to swap the LPG tune for an ULP one on the go (think I have about 8 tunes in the xCal - could probably reduce that to 3 and make do)

Is there a way to be able to do that with the PCMtec at the moment (am tipping the flash from a tuner will be locked?) - are multiple tunes per car available?

Would also be relevant to those running E85 and 98 at different times?

edit: 

Do the 3 credits count per car, or per tune on the car? (eg - 9 credits required for 3 tunes?)

Retunes require and extra set of credits?

Currently we are looking into getting NGauge support and also developing our own Android phone app to allow you to swap between multiple tunes. In the mean time you would need to use a laptop to switch tunes.

There is however a method that allows you to do something interesting. The IMRC valve does not exist on the turbo vehicles, however the maps still exist in the ECU. This means if you wire up the IMRC active sensor to a switch you can toggle ignition and airflow maps (fuel).

There are load vs rpm ignition adder and also speed density maps that could allow you to run dual fuel maps without actually reflashing the computer. This would allow you to do a dual fuel tune. It would be a compromise between two completely separate tunes as you can only fudge the fuel, however I imagine you could get quite a good result. This would also be great for someone running nitrous at the drags.

Regarding tuner lock PCMTEC can read all HPTuners and SCT Tunes at the moment. We will be adding our own tuner lock in the future however your tuner can opt to unlock the tuner for the customer if they wish.

The 3 credits/vehicle license is locked to the PCM Serial number, VIN and OS. So you can do as many edits and flashes to your vehicle as you like for the one set of credits. Only if you physically change your PCM, change the VIN (this would be quite unusual) or want to flash in a different OS from someone else's car would you need to purchase more credits. So in your case you could run dual tunes for E85/98 for the single set of credits. This pricing is very similar to HPTuners and much cheaper than buying an SCT handheld.

Edited by rollex

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
3 minutes ago, rollex said:

The IMRC valve does not exist on the turbo vehicles, however the maps still exist in the ECU. This means if you wire up the IMRC active sensor to a switch you can toggle ignition and airflow maps (fuel).

There are load vs rpm ignition adder and also speed density maps that could allow you to run dual fuel maps without actually reflashing the computer. This would allow you to do a dual fuel tune. It would be a compromise between two completely separate tunes as you can only fudge the fuel, however I imagine you could get quite a good result. 

This.... has me very interested now :D

Am sure everyone who's been on a cruise with me and had to wait 10 mins while I flash or an hour when the flash fails will agree lol

Thinking about it a bit more, attempting to do a n E85/98 tune might cause you some grief as you would be stuck with one lot of cranking fuel/idle set points etc, so cold start etc would most likely be pretty bad if you had to use the same settings for both tunes.

Though I don't see any reason why you couldn't get the full load part of the tune working great with both.