Brake pad and rotor suggestions

TheChad90

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 2d
2 minutes ago, Box stock T. said:

when they were warmed up

That's my issue - 99.9% of my driving is in suburbia, stop signs, traffic and roundabouts - <60km/h stop/start

Day to day I miss the cold, "slow speed" bite

It's what made me move on from the stock setup before the 1st service - felt like I had to brake, then brake again or overshoot the intersection.

I was coming from a Pajero :S

Ultimates gave me what I was after (expecting/should have been stock)

Pmu's may be a better pad, but they lost the stop sign, 40km/h feel - went back to the having to the "have to push again/further/quicker feel"

Not sure if the above ^^ will make sense to anyone, but it's my thoughts from when I was chasing what I was after.

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d

Yep I hear what ya saying mate.

It's hard to find and brake pad for daily driving and expect it to respond like a set of supercar pads.

Mine phoon was a my second car so it was easy to live with the traits of a semi race style pad. There definitely another option to include along with ultimates and 400's and the ferrodo pads mentioned earlier.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
2 minutes ago, Box stock T. said:

It's hard to find and brake pad for daily driving and expect it to respond like a set of supercar pads.

It's hard being a daily driver and to pretend to be a supercar driver :P

I think I've done a cruise or two with the (gran)baby seat still in the car lol - they make me take it out at scruitineering on track days

Not 18 anymore - if the rims get dusty then the folks at the bowls club know I've been having fun

Haven't found a time where the brakes grip less than the tyres do yet - til then, it's all just feel

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 7d

I have to agree with what you  are saying about the initial bite but when my missus jumps in the car from her barina my head almost always goes thru the front window for the first couple of stops haha. I dont think I could handle more bite

• Like 1

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Lol.

I'm the other way.

Would jump in mums Golf and headbutt the steering wheel.

From the Pajero I'd been driving I wasn't expecting a "worse" street braking feel - stock FG was far worse

T2's and the Bendix's fixed that (probably just the pads) - made the car feel how it should have.

Have chased improvements since

Different pads, rotors etc.

Happy again with ultimates (on 380?? rotors, but it's the pads that make the difference on stopping)

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 7d

Yeah first mod I did was get rid of the crap stock brakes on the fg. How can a car that is both fast and heavy be so under braked.

Have you looked into braided lines? I feel as if they get overlooked despite the benefits they give

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

Brakes and suspension would be the 1st things I'd do if I had my time again.

Power's for occasional, stopping is for comfort, handling is for fun - everyday.

Get them all balanced and everything works :) Stock is so out of balance :( 

Have had braided lines since my 2nd bike in the early 90's - it's subtle, but it's there.

Still can't brake harder, take off quicker or comer faster than the rubber you're running allows you to - decent tyres are still the limiting factor

• Like 1

• Member For: 11y 1m 1d
Before they glaze or run out?
They would just lose their ability to pull the car up. Pedal went to mush. Mechanic had just serviced it and put in fresh penrite racing brake fluid for me.

Each time I came off the 3 fast laps 1 cool down lap smoke was wafting out of them. This was a pretty short tight track (collie), little time to cool down the brakes before you were slamming them on again.
Wouldn't buy again.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team

That'll be brake fade - nothing to do with the pads.

Brake fluid got too hot.

If you find any pads that don't do the same on the same track then it's because they grip less and slow you down less.

You're blaming the wrong part of the mix for why your brakes stopped working.

The pads were probably the only thing left at the time that was doing it's job correctly

Regardless of brand.