Brake pad and rotor suggestions

TheChad90

• Member For: 20y 11m 27d

Personally I would not use the QFM8000.  This pad does not just leave dust. It will leave a glue residue down the side of your car which is difficult to get off. Its a big job to remove and I have yet to clean it off after two years. They do not last very long but they do grip. I only used them on the front.

After that I put some DS2000 which are not too bad, less dusty than the Bendix that I used for many years and less aggressive on the disc.

Got to replace my rears so looking if anything new out there, otherwise DS2000 or ultimates

• Like 1

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 26d

Pmu’s are by far the least dusty pad on the open market with any kind of performance base and I’ve found NOTHING even close to dust levels of that the 400’s deliver. Reports say the Pmu800’s are just as clean and better high temp stable (obviously) but cold bit might not be as good as the 400’s 

ive fitted out now countles xr6T’s with the T3/400 combo and the performance is brilliant ( for a street set up ) and I believe many of the reffered users of this package has had nothing but amazing things to be said about the upgrade 

I have one customer who NEVER washes his ute and I’m amazed every time he comes back in with just how little there is on his silver Argents, that being said I’ve got the Project Mu ns400’s on the back of my R8 and even on a big rotor 383mm 4pot set up the dust is genuine nil and I really have never seen a pad with such performance ( for a street pad ) and cleanliness ever 

I’ve never had a customer that’s just into “hills” or high speed driving so I can’t comment on it’s dust or performance when temps are maintained to a high level but I believe that’s then not really a “street” pad and more of a track based environment and most would agree and this isn’t what you’re asking about Chad 

Braking is a subjective topic as everyone is clearly different in what they think is normal or track and then again if you haven’t bed in a pad correctly or if you have a draging caliper the experience is skewed as that pad isn’t working within correct parameters but the dust topic is a big one for nearly every punter and I’m waiting to try a pad with less dust ever and then the performance to complete the arrangement :) 

I should be on the pay roll for Pmu but honestly I get the privilege ( maybe lol ) to have many customer cars delivered with everything you can think of brake combo wise and nothing comes close to what I recommend and fit ( for street duties ) 

The best brakes ever would have to be a close Alcon Mono block ~10k vs Harrop Ultimates ~7k and yes I’ve driven both these arrangements including my own F6 brembos and now my R8 AP racing 6/4’s so I like to think I’ve been exposed to a wide variety from shocking to the best ?

just sayn .... ;) 

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 7d

Jet supplied me with T3 rotors and PMU 400 pads and everything he has ever said about them is correct

I installed braided lines at the same time and I couldn't be happier with how good the brakes are now, this really is a great combo!!

Also a major note that most people forget, brakes are only as good as your tyres

If your a tight ass and always throw Chinese tyres on it really defeats the purpose of your brake upgrade

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 7d

I ve had genuine brembo pads which didnt last long and were very dusty.

Had qfm pads, not sure on the specifics but their mod range pad, and they were good till they wore down to about half and developed a squeal and shudder.

Ended up replacing them with the pmu400s and they are great. I dont find the dust to be bad at all and is better than what ive had but I got black rims so there is that.

• Like 1

• XR50T
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 10m 27d
Personally I would not use the QFM8000.  This pad does not just leave dust. It will leave a glue residue down the side of your car which is difficult to get off. Its a big job to remove and I have yet to clean it off after two years. They do not last very long but they do grip. I only used them on the front.

After that I put some DS2000 which are not too bad, less dusty than the Bendix that I used for many years and less aggressive on the disc.

Got to replace my rears so looking if anything new out there, otherwise DS2000 or ultimates

Great advice about the QFM8000, was looking at them for my next set.

Still surprised at the beating the Ferrodo DS2500 front and DS performance rear pads on the Brembo 4 pot / PBR single can take.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

QFM 8000 are the best pads I  have ever used cold and at the track

The pmu  400 don't perform that well cold and when you beat them hard they overheat and fade 

But for folks that drive like a pussy , they are probably fine 

Just check the coefficient of friction of each.  That tells the story. 

You can't have brake pads that perform and make FA dust 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 9m 7d

I probably do drive like a pussy because I daily my car and im not on the anchors pulling the car up on its nose every traffic light. 

So for a daily a low wearing low dust and easy on the rotor pad and gives good feel is exactly what I want personally.

If I tracked my car id have seperate pads for that.

• Like 1