SCT to HPT problem

Fischer89

• Member For: 6y 6m 18d

I bought my fg turbo ute already tuned with sct but for some reason the previous owner kept the X4 even though it's of no use to him.

I've got a brand new blank one here and also just ordered the HPT package.

Some people are saying I can and some are saying I can't write over the sct tune with hpt.. What's the best option???

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

OK, he can't use that X4 for another car, in it's current state... if he doesn't flash your car back to stock and you get it tuned with your blank X4, then your car will not have a stock tune to go back to at any point, the current tune will be your "stock tune" on the X4. I'm not even sure that your blank X4 will work with the current setup as it might not be able to "unlock" the ECU as necessary for flashing, but I can't see why this wouldn't work.

With regard to HPT, you don't use the X4 at all and HPT can suck out and replace the current sct tune, as far as I know.

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 4d

Give your tuner a call in the morning and ask the options he has to rectify - sorry, I've got no idea what happens in the case of a lost XCal

Do you know which tuner the car was previously tuned at? Them "may" have an option that a new tuner wouldn't?

May need to go to Ford and have a stock tune loaded?

• Member For: 6y 6m 18d

Myself and the tuner want to use hpt.. My tuner said he has heard of people writing over an sct tune with hpt but doesn't want to risk bricking the ecu

Previously tuned at Real Dyno about 12 months ago.. I'm just getting mixed responses from various tuners.. Some say I must take it to ford to get a stock tune flashed onto it then towed to their workshop and others have said hpt can write over the sct tunes

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 4d

Back to Ford for a "firmware update" may be the safest in the end - not sure on cost though and would probably require a tow there and back

I'd be knocking on the door of the bloke who sold you the car - would turn his useless SCT into something he could flip for a few hundred

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

if the tuner prefers HPT but doesn't know for sure about what it does to current SCT tunes, I'd be looking elsewhere for a tuner... but that's just my opinion :)

• Like 1