Fg n/a vs Fg egas - turbo application

PSI06T

• Member For: 6y 4m 30d

Ok so ive bought an egas BA engine not knowing that the rods in them are a bit plastic so ive been told.

So heres the thing the engine is going into an XE falcon and im running an auto box (btr) , im kinda leaning towards the fg n/a or the fg egas engine, the car will be on e85 with id1000’s.

Looking for around 400rwkw mark also keeping in mind the XE is around 400kg lighter than the xr so fingers x the box will live a little (built)

So basically just need info on the 2 types of fg engines and probably need to change cams and sensors to run the ecu for the btr .

any help on this will be a great help , I need to make some kind of decision by wednesday

cheers

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 8d

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

The BA engine is fine if you're going to put pistons and rods in it anyway.

The main benefit to the FG engine's is the cam control and profile, but otherwise the engines have largely the same capability once the engines are built a little.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d

You wanna have turbo exhaust valves in there. A full set of in and ex is around the $300 mark new.

Here is some info about the egas motor. On the same page there is a drop down tab that has info on the other variants.

Depending on the crossmember you might need a different sump as the bf and fg are different. If that's the case you'll need a different oil pickup and windage tray and relocate the dipstick in the block. A couple of main caps will need to be retorqued if you need to do this and obviously the side sump to main cap bolts will need to be retorqued also.

Although there will be the casting for the turbo oil return on the sump you'll need to drill out the hole and also drill and tap the threads for the fasteners. Alternatively you can just get a turbo sump.

You may need a plug to block off a water fitting near the back of the block and the water line from the thermostat housing has an extra bit for the turbo application.

Just another thing though is that the dynamic compression ratio gets pretty high on a gas motor when you work out the numbers. Although I haven't tried it myself (yet) I think a gas motor would be under similar stress at 16 psi as the turbo motor would be at 22psi.

There might be more that I haven't added but this is the bulk of it.

If I was in your position I would give myself more than 2 days to do my research as it's better to do things once rather than twice eg: buying the wrong engine the first time. There are dozens of these motors at the wreckers for around $500 and they aren't going anywhere.

Anyway good luck with it mate. The info is out there if you search for long enough and folks here have been known to be helpful more often than not.

• Member For: 10y 6m 19d

You don't need to use the fg ecu to control the btr. If you are happy to run a manualised c4 then just use the btr and run it manualised and take advantage of being able use overdrive for the highway. C4 behind turbo 4l are sh*t anyway need to spend huge money to make it reliable and it'll still be a time bomb.

For the motor of it's staying on e85 all the time just get a wrecker n/a motor and put valve springs in it. The cams are said to be the same part number from Ford for turbo and n/a so they will be fine. Changing the exhaust valves isn't worth it they will only be a problem if the tuner has some how got no idea how to tune you'll melt a hole through the piston before a valve. I've pulled quite a few e gas motors apart and I wouldn't buy one at all. They are not IMO worth the money everyone wants for them.

IMO fg n/a motor with a set of valve springs only for 400kw. Run the btr behind it manualised and you will have a mid to low 10sec car

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 20d
26 minutes ago, eff xr6t said:

Changing the exhaust valves isn't worth it

I based my comment from the recommendation from Atomic. Then again it doesn't mean they are right.

23 minutes ago, eff xr6t said:

They are not IMO worth the money everyone wants for them.

What are they wanting for them where you are? I noticed that the fg egas are only a bit more than na here but they want close to 2k for the ecolpi motors.