Before and afters

TheChad90

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 2m 15d
On 1/23/2018 at 12:11 PM, arronm said:

More oil comes from the pcv circuit.   That's the most important side to stop excess oil entering the intake.   

All I had before was a crankcase breather filter that was spewing oil in my engine bay so thought I'd have to sort that out. However the PCV I noticed is plugged into the intake manifold, is that what you mean? Also I've heard you need a separate catch can for both the pcv and crankcase?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 27d

If you are going to run a catch can you need to connect all the venting holes on the rocker cover otherwise the engine will still be ingesting oil.

• Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

Yes and yes.

The one you have installed is great for reducing the oil that coats the internals of the intercooler and piping. Its ideal to run 2. Dont forget to install a one way valve in the line so you dont pressurise the catch can. I use this oil/air seperator.

You can join them up but its not really legal.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OIL-CATCH-CAN-SUIT-HOLDEN-COMMODORE-LS1-LS2-LS3-VT-VX-VY-VZ-VE-VE-V6-MOOILSB/400944452409?hash=item5d5a26d339:g:nhoAAOSwPcVVi3Wl

Breather can is adjacent to booster. PVC can near inlet manifold.

bcDsvVN.jpg

Edited by arronm
  • Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

@TheChad90  You should read up on what a catch can is specifically for if you aren't 100% on it. It's primary purpose is not to catch oil that may piss out of the rocker cover although it may be needed to do that in some cases. Some info is in the link arronm posted.

In short you want to filter out the oil from the blow-by as the oil entering the intake makes the engine more prone to detonation.

There are several different styles available.

• Like 1

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 7y 2m 15d

@Puffwagon By venting holes you mean the crankcase vent and the PCV right? which would mean I should do the PCV next.

From what I read the crankcase breather is to allow gases to escape, catching oil, and grabbing fresh air from the air intake therefore why would I need a one way valve for my catch can if I have a breather filter eliminating pressurisation?? @arronm  

Cheers for the info guys! The to do list keeps on getting longer and longer:thumbs-up:

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
8 hours ago, TheChad90 said:

By venting holes you mean the crankcase vent and the PCV right? which would mean I should do the PCV next.

Yep.

From what I read the crankcase breather is to allow gases to escape, catching oil, and grabbing fresh air from the air intake

That sounds backwards. The intake is pulling cleaner air from the catch can to remain legal. You can't have the crankcase, rocker cover or catch can venting to atmosphere.

why would I need a one way valve for my catch can if I have a breather filter eliminating pressurisation??

You only need it when the rocker cover is connected to the manifold. When it is connected to a catch can there is no boost pressure there, only crankcase pressure. Look at the stock setup, the hoses both go to the rocker cover but they go to different locations from there.

In a street car with stock ring gaps a catch can is just there to filter what little blow-by there is while still running the system through the intake for legality. Ideally you wouldn't connect it to the intake and just have a filter on top of it so it doesn't pressurise from crankcase gas.

When I say intake I mean pre turbo.

Edit: I just noticed you said the breather filter eliminates pressurisation. It doesn't do that, it just condenses the oil out of the air coming into the catch can.

Edited by Puffwagon
  • Like 1

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d
14 hours ago, TheChad90 said:

@Puffwagon By venting holes you mean the crankcase vent and the PCV right? which would mean I should do the PCV next.

From what I read the crankcase breather is to allow gases to escape, catching oil, and grabbing fresh air from the air intake therefore why would I need a one way valve for my catch can if I have a breather filter eliminating pressurisation?? @arronm  

Cheers for the info guys! The to do list keeps on getting longer and longer:thumbs-up:

You are very confused.  

They are 2 different circuits.  Jump on Google and do some reading.