FG XR6 turbo sounds like a cop siren

jiri styles

• Member For: 12y 2m 10d

hey guys, just recently got a fg xr6 turbo, and it is making the funniest noise on acceleration, soon as you start to accelerate the cop siren noise starts and stops as soon as you let off the throttle, and itgets really loud, it also does on when free reving in neutral but not loud, there is NO performance issues at all it drives great so far, boost is fine and everything, just the loud cop siren noise through the whole rev range is there and I have searched everywhere for answers and I cant even figure it out, im thinking mabey the alternator or a pulley or 2..

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 22d

Nice revival - 5 years since your last post ...

@k31th could be banshee exhaust ? :wwww:  Farrk luv that banshee exhaust - made my eyes water every time I heard it on that Snowy's cruise so many years ago ...

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

5 years since signing up... this was his first post :P we have a lot more lurkers than posters.

that exhaust didn't sound anything like a cop siren, though... this description is... just not adequate to diagnose anything.

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

sounds like alternator whine... e.g. bad earth interference. Usually happens on a falcon when you put in an aftermarket sound system and use the factory audio signal (not a head-unit) and boost it up with an amplifier... the factory earth system just isn't well designed for the higher current draw of an aftermarket sound system...

take it to an auto-elec and get them to diagnose the bad earth source, if you don't know how to do it yourself :)

• Member For: 12y 2m 10d

yea man , first thing I did, I will take the serpentine belt off tomorrow and let it idle and see if the noise is still there

1 hour ago, k31th said:

sounds like alternator whine... e.g. bad earth interference. Usually happens on a falcon when you put in an aftermarket sound system and use the factory audio signal (not a head-unit) and boost it up with an amplifier... the factory earth system just isn't well designed for the higher current draw of an aftermarket sound system...

take it to an auto-elec and get them to diagnose the bad earth source, if you don't know how to do it yourself :)

this does make alot of sense I do think it is alternator also..

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 22d

Sounds like electrical interference to audio system to me as well.  Nice vids by the way :thumbsup:

I used to get a similar whining sound on my previous BA when I connected car cig lighter to my phone to charge it at same time as using a FM transmitter into car audio FM receiver to play mp3's off my phone ...