Oils Aint Oils <Merged Thread>

rorojoe

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3d

PHANTMXR6 if you believe my post is wrong what oil do you recommend for a BA-BF 6t and why? And please explain why 10w would be recommended for NA engines and 15w for turbos? As far as I know there is I <3 Bananas all differences is engines, yeah turbo engines are stronger but that doesn't change oil requirements.

My post was mainly aimed at Mechanics and salespeople recommending stuff like 0-60 for cars supposed to run 10-30 or 15-40. Or workshops that have 2 large barbells of oil a thinner for cars done less than 100k and the thicker for cars with more than 100k without any regard to manufacturers recommendation.

I've just seen a qualified mechanic put 5-60 in to friends skyline where recommend is 10-30.

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 3d

Thanks for merging it tab, for anyone that wants to learn about oils read the first few pages of the topic and especially pay attention to posts made by Lawsy, the guy knows he's oils that's for sure.

• It's not a MKI!
  • Member For: 15y 9m 30d

Dule, I am a mechanic by trade and it doesn't matter what I or anyone else recommends you use. :roflmbo:

As long as you use what the manufacturer recommends you can't go wrong.

Your comments about Ford using a specific type of oil just because they already have it is and it is cheaper?? Please.

I already made comment on what was wrong in your post.

If you would like some more info on oil types google or wikipedia or some other form of research will provide you with the answers you're after.

I persoally use Penrite SIN 15, which has the specs recommended by Ford for my engine.

But at the end of the day it is up to you what you use as long as it meets the manufacturers specifications. :spoton:

• Member For: 19y 8m 15d

I've only tried two oils in the T, but as many have said before I think the weights are the crucial part.

I've used 10-40 castrol magnatec and 15-60 Penrite HPR, the castrol oil didn't last as well (after 15k it had lost it's colour and gotten pretty dark) but it was great at start up and seemed to let the engine perform more freely. The HPR 15 after 12k still hasn't lost it's colour, but I think it is decreasing engine performance, and to be honest it's probably an overkill (however I have nothing to back that up). My car's running 15psi and 320rwkw btw.

Personally I think a 10 or 15w 40 is the best for the engine overall (performance and longevity, exactly what ford recommend) magnatec is ideal if you change your oil regularly and do short frequent trips. I'm going to try some Sin15 next as I'm impressed with the quality of penrite oil, just think I chose the wrong product last time.

• Member For: 15y 4m 24d

Guys, some of you might wanna know, I had all sort of starting problems with my BA XR6T.After a lots of efforts and waist of money from different mechanics, and problem was eventually diagnosed from Ford Dealers. Guess what...I weren't running right engine oil. I used 20w-50, cheapest available. Only oil can be used is 10W-60 to keep right oil pressure and performance.

Cheers