Oils Aint Oils <Merged Thread>

rorojoe

• Inactive Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 7d

:blink: picking up my turbo (hopefully soon) anyway I think 15000 is a lot of k's for an oil change so I'll be doing mine at 7500 k's.Whats recommended out their

for fellow turbo drivers who care about there car

• Are we there yet?
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 5m 27d

Yeah I do an oil change myself halfway between each service...

Mine has been chewing a little oil as well. It is booked in to be looked at this week.

Guest beaver1
  • Guests

hi I done mine oil change my self at 7500kms and use 10-40 caltex havoline semi synthetic sl/cf then I know what oil goes in my xr6t :blink:

• It's All In Your Mind
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 20y 4m 28d

:banghead: Once you read the shear and crack strengths of REDLINE and then try it, you'll never contemplate anything else, especially considering the temperatures a T will generate in summer. Costs a hell of a lot more, but could save you a fortune $200 for engine, $300 for trans, but in the end it could save you plenty. Oil change recommended every 20,000 klm. :thumbsup:

• 2 months later...
  • SLOJAM, Gone but not forgotten
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 21y 5m 18d

As some will recall there has been some debate in a couple of threads about the correct oil for the "T"

The little blue book tells us that 15w40 is the correct grade, yet some are being told by their dealer that 10w30 is OK...Or worse they are just putting in the 10w30 and not saying anything to the owners.

I had my 30K service a week ago and asked what oil was put in the car. I was told 10w30. I told the service person the book stated 15w40. I was told that the spec had been changed and there was a tech bulliten about it.

Today I received my service report in the mail and the oil used is listed as Castrol FMX Magnatec 1030 which sounds like it is 10w30. :sleepystuff:

I checked the Castrol web site and the only magnatec oil I could find is rated 10w40. :blink:

Now I am realy confused and concerned that my "T" has the wrong oil in it.

Anyone out there work for Castrol??

BTW I aquired a copy of the dealer service training notes 5-14 and it clearly states that:

Reccommended use only engine oil which meets the requirement of API specifications SJ/CF (not SJ or CF alone) For optimal fuel economy use SAE viscosity grade 15W40.  Ford specification WSE-M2C905-A

Ford R1-310 meets these specifications

Guest Scootre
  • Guests

Geez I thought it was just me...

I got my T back from it's 3k service today. One of the to-do's was for them to change the oil and the oil filter. I asked the guy what the oil was, they said Castrol 5W-30.

Dying to know why.... I'll be calling them to ask.

• Member For: 20y 4m 27d

I also got the bit about 10w - 40 being OK from the dealer the other day and that ford had revised the specs.

Anyone spoken to FMC customer about this yet?

• My new toy
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 20y 11m 6d

I am not an oil expert but have been a mechanic for 25 years and I would be using at least 15w40 oil in the turbo as with the extra heat that they make 10w 30 is to light.

When the au first came out ford said to use 5w30 in all six cyl motors but we found here in qld with the extra heat that it was to thin and did not protect the engine bearings enough this was in taxi's which also were hot all the time.

I use penrite 10tenths part synthetic 25w60 and and have had no problems with economy and I know I have enough engine protection when the oil is hot.

As stated I am not an oil expert but this is what I found.

Ian