Oils Aint Oils <Merged Thread>

rorojoe

• Member For: 6y 10m 27d
1 hour ago, Rockatansky said:

So you'd recommend the semi over the full synthetic?

No, that's what Ford chose because its cheap. I run a full syn 5W-40 never run better, better temp and viscosity control especially for turbo. Didn't like Nulon though.

P.S Sorry Keith I'm not trolling you lol. 

• Like 2

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 19d

Im in the full syn camp too, B series cams FTW!

Nulon used to be the go-to around here, what is the new must have full syn?

I notice the oil pressure drops away a lot at idle once its warmed up with Nulon..

The best full syn's are from Valvoline, Shell, Castrol and Mobil. These companies have always had the best choice for base stock. These companies full syn's are usually better than most of the 'true' syn oils available as well. Do some research on the specs and typical data for a particular oil and you will see that these four companies are continuously at the top. Australia makes some good oil, Penrite, Gulf Western and Nulon but they just don't have the resources of these massive companies.

Edited by adams355

• Member For: 13y 11m 17d

So what's your preferred fully synthetic 5W-40? I ran fully synthetic Nulon 10W-40 for years until the last service where they left the car on the hoist with my oil ready to go in the passenger seat then the young trady filled it with something else and only realised when they set the car down.

Any of those, there all very similar, same price range, research the data for each. I like 5W-40 now. I tried Nulon 10W-40 because a few recommended here and was cheap, it was in for 6000ks and came out with a red tint which means it had oxidised (not good), had a bit of blow by with it as well. Years and years ago I had a Nissan CA18 motor which would rev to 9000rpm, I had an oil change on it (I couldn't be bothered). The mechanic said he was going to put Valvoline it, I laughed thought he was joking, he assured me it was good it was new etc.

Anyway, I didn't argue he had just run a Nissan in a Bathurst 12hr category and came 3rd running this oil. So yea, Synpower it was made a massive difference to the car I had and once again has made a big difference to the XR, better fuel economy and no blow by, good temps, doesn't need snake oil additives either like a few other brands out there. Underrated in Australia, but the other 3 oils are pretty good too. 2c

Edited by adams355

• 4 months later...
  • Member For: 5y 2m 23d

What you the circuit racers amongst you recommend for a 2013 Mk2 FG NA with a ZF auto suggest.  Car will mainly be doing sprints, 5 x laps of Barbagallo, Collie etc and Targa Rally Sprints.  Eventual plan is Improved Production, but for now just the small stuff.  What Oil for the engine would be best suited.  10W60 ? Perth WA , so it gets hot in summer here for sure.  Winters not too cold.

• 7 months later...
  • Member For: 5y 1m 20d

What weight of oil should I use after a move to E85 (not flex fuel)?

Was using 10 tenths 10W-40 prior to, and thinking of moving to 10 tenths 14W-50.

Can anyone point to a product they have found has worked well?