FG-X Sound System Install

k31th

• Member For: 4y 5m 13d

I just installed a Pioneer Ts-Wx130da underseat sub, goes pretty good. I unfortunately ruined every stereo I had with a big install about 10 years ago on a past car. The whole stereo is ok, the tweeters seem to lack high end clarity, the speakers themselves sound a little hollow, and the sub does a good job filling in the low end, but doesn’t overlap frequencies well with the speakers. I’m resigned to the fact that the factory stereo just outputs a dogsh*t signal, and because I’m using speaker inputs on the amp and sub, I’m essentially just amping an already sh*t signal. Without going completely nuts and putting in another head unit, amps and sub, I’ve pretty much hit a limit I think.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

yeah, I understand completely what you mean by ruining your own perception of a ridiculously well setup sound system... anything less is considerably a step down and it's surprising how much you can enjoy being in a well setup car. I've transferred this sound system between a few cars now as I go from one to another and I can only see myself dropping down in quality of sound output when I lose my hearing haha

It’s such a shame that Ford didn’t put something decent into the FGX, what a squandered opportunity, the rest of the car is amazing, why not put in a decent sound processor. Even my old 2013 Ranger had a better stereo. I miss the days of a simple single or double DIN setup 🥺

I had a decent drive to work today so I played with the EQ the whole way and think I got it sounding much better! The ICC has a volume adjust in the menu from Off-7, at 7 it seems to put more through the tweeters and clean up the sound a little, for me it sounded pretty decent 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On a side note, changing the polarity on the 8” sub makes a big difference too, the underseat sub gets the kick and lower frequencies and the factory sub gets the kick a bit more. All of a sudden the heavy rock/metal I listen to comes alive. On an fgx the plug at the sub has 4 wires, they’re wired as pairs to each side of the plug, so easy rewire, took 5mins.

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 13d

I don't remember what was on the FG-X one that I did and the car has since been sold on... but have a look at this thread: https://www.fordxr6turbo.com/forum/topic/74886-fg-sub-fix/

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member For: 18y 10m 17d

Reading through and about to upgrade over the holidays but one thing I just can’t see.  Did you use the crossover boxes that came with the splits or just replaced the speakers? Utilising existing, factory crossovers?

Edited by podrcr