FG-X Sound System Install

k31th

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

The crossovers are controlled within the amp itself, if you mean low and high pass filters. But it doesn't matter if you want to set them up using the stock system etc. If you mean crossovers in terms of little boxes that split the frequencies between the woofer and tweeter, then they are installed into the door with the speakers.

• Member For: 13y 7m 27d

Hi K31th,

Thanks for the fast reply. I bought some Polk DB6502's. I have a FG2 Ute with Prem Sound, so the tweeters on the A pillar. 

I can mount the tweeters and woofers fine but im just not sure what wires to use as the input into the crossover (little box which the woofer and tweeter plugs into). 

Do I use the wires in the door which are going to the woofer as the crossover input? If so, then I run wires from the crossover out the door back up to the tweeter?

Or is there an easier way so I don't have to go passing any new wires through the door grommet?

Edited by tim85

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

you use the wires that go to the woofer and then put the crossover there and then the two outputs of the crossover to go back to the woofer and the tweeter.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 3d

Heres pics of some parts of the install in my rspec

20181219_112552.jpg

20181219_131832.jpg

20181219_155344.jpg

The soundskins made a huge difference to the sound quality. I also used the spacers from supercheap just to get the speakers off the door with the stinger rings and backing pad behind the speakers attached to the soundskins on the inner door panel. I ended up biffing the kicker cx 300.4 and 600.1 went with the Alpine X series A70F and A70M mono amp to keep it all alpine. The Rockford DSR1 unit has been awesome and the sound is clear and doing the job.

20181219_173254.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • Member For: 4y 4m 19d

I just did the big install replace today, used the same Rockford 6.75” front and rears. Used the Sony mini-amp XMS400D, 3M double sided taped it to the back of the lower dash panel in front of the drivers left knee. There’s a grommet to the engine bay directly in front, I drilled a decent hole and ran conduit through for the power cable. I soldered every connection and shrink wrapped. Thanks so much for the speaker cable colours!! Saved a stack of time splitting them for the high level feed and 45w outputs. The factory premium speakers are dogsh*t, and the output from the factory stereo is rubbish, this little amp will help huge. Next step is sort out the swinging-in-the-breeze 8” “sub”, not sure what to do because running a power feed to the back is going to be a pain in the arse. Might run an under seat sub, not sure yet.

Edited by hurricaneg6et