FG-X Sound System Install

k31th

• 1 year later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 2d

Hi Keith,

Just about to do a system upgrade on my 2012 GT Rspec (many years procrastination on doing it to the GT as I swore I'd keep the stereo stock, but im over the stock system so here goes!).

Just wanted to say thanks for putting this thread up.  The time and effort you've put in helps out heaps. With your pics and wiring descriptions it will hopefully make my job so much easier! The Rspec being a Series II FG looks like it comes with the same wiring colours as the FGX. (fingers crossed!!)

I have already installed a set of Alpine X Premium 6 1/2" Splits in the front and the Coaxial versions in the rear doors (Ps.  No spacers required either, nice shallow design). They are hooked up and the wiring colours you provided were an exact match to my GT... all working off the ICC at present. 

I am ready to finish off the rest of the system using a Rockford DSR1 DSP unit (already flashed it  - in Universal mode ie no CANBUS/ T harness). This will be my LLC and set on High Level input, and I will be connecting my 2 amps  (Kicker 4x100W for the Front splits and Rear speakers ) and (Kicker 1x600W - Sub duties).

Question:)

When you connected your speaker cables which send the sound from the amp in the boot to the Front speakers, are the tweeters in the A Pillars receiving that same "amplified or powered signal" as well (eg: the factory tweeter wiring running from A Pillars eventually joins into the Front Door speaker wiring or...... are they connected via 2 independent channels from the ICC?  Yeah dumb question I know, but my last FG install I done was back in 2010 on my 2008 FG XR6T Ute (ZX 750.1 Kicker mono, ZX 400.4 Kicker 4 CH amplifier, Bit 10 processor Focal Speakers and 2 x 12" Kicker subs, and back then there was very little information at all on how to upgrade so I am getting back up to speed and making sure there is no weird stuff going on behind the dash on the Series II ICC?....

The Alpine X Splits come with small individual crossovers (the tweeter Crossover box is compact enough to fit behind the A Pillar covers nicely).  I've connected it same as your fathers' but mines got the crossover connected between the tweeter and the factory plug that originally plugged into the factory tweeter). 

Also just wanted to see how stereo is going as I know its been some time since you posted your thread and if there has any thing that might assist me further.  Hope your father's still cranking it and once again great job!

Fingers crossed I'll have it finished this week.  Got boxes to construct and amps and wiring to install and hide. Will chuck pics up once done!!

Cheers 

Tim

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

Yep, the tweeters in the A-pillar receive the same signal as the front-door-speaker corresponding to it's side.

Yep; it's tuned to his taste in (old) music and he loves it :)

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 8m 2d

Followed same wiring as Keith and the system sounds great. Alpine premium x  splits in the front and same coaxials in the rear doors. Wiring in the kick panels from the icc  to the rockford dsr1 (loc and dsp unit) which feeds the signals to a kicker 600.4 amp for the coaxials and kicker 300.1 for the pioneer 12" sub. All time alignment done and a rockford plc switch to control the sub level. All controlled via my phone. 

Bit of resonance in the cabin and vibration so ordered a mega pack of soundskins sound deadening to take care of that. Will put up pics once it is all done. Thanks to Keith for this thread as I wouldn't have done it with out it. The GT system cranked first pop but will feel better once the deadening is done. 

Cheers

Tim

• Like 2