Snowy Cruise 2017 (Fri 24 - Sun 26 November)

EvilDaifu

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

My leave is approved.  I'll be booking my accommodation soon.  Just got back from several weeks in Malaysia on work.  Currently on the South Island NZ and O M G  ... F M D the roads here are just sooooo gooood around Queenstown :aaggl:

• WOT?
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 11y 1m 3d

NZ for me reminds me of Tassie, just a lot of more straights and towns between the corners ;)

Haven't done south island of NZ though - going to do Milford Sound one day.

Am headed to Malaysia/Thailand next month for "work" too (MotoGP and as an official CUB beer taster) - will seek your guidance on getting a sim for while over there (couple of countries/providers)

No Keith - there will not be "pics" - not that there's anything wrong with lady-boys (other than what's intrinsically wrong with them) but I prefer to leave them alone :( 

I might have a car or two and/or a passenger or two coming on the Snowies as well (probably won't though).

Anyone reminded @demon1300 about the trip? He almost tempted me to buy a drone last time and all I need is a small push now ;)

• Cruise Whore
  • Moderating Team
  • Member For: 18y 7m 23d

You'll enjoy Malaysia - I had a ball though it was all work mostly.  Celcom XPAX prepaid SIM is good value.  5GB that's lasts a month and only costs RM 30 (AUD $10). SIM costs RM 10.  So total is RM 40.  You get RM 5 credit for voice and txt with SIM card.  Just top that up to about RM 25 (ie add another RM 20 at the shop) - that should last ages as calls and data is cheap as.  Top up with XPAX app on iOS or Android or if you don't want to use your credit card - just go into any 7Eleven and pay for a RM 10 or RM 30 voucher with 16 digit PIN and enter that PIN using the XPAX app. Celcom and Maxis have the best coverage and data speeds.  Stay away from the others though they are cheaper for a reason ... Maxis Hotlink claims to offer more data but you have to use extra data during certain times of the day - sort of use it or lose it. I found I just wanted lots of data when I wanted to use it was better for me.

Goto Central Market or Petaling St for trinkets but don't spend big there - they are both geared for tourists.  Better night market in my opinion is the one all the locals goto which is Connaught Night Market and it is only held once a week on Wed night's from 6pm to about 11pm.

Catch a KTM train RM 14 one way to Batu Caves - go around 4pm to catch evening light for photos, less crowds and cooler weather.

Get a Touch n Go card.  You can use it for LRT KTM and Monorail plus buy good and drinks at station outlets (though I never used it like that - I always uses cash for good and drink).  

Download Uber and Grab apps to get around as well. But plan ahead.  Expect to wait around 20 mins due to demand and mostly drivers are dropping off when they take your job.  But it's cheap as compared to here. 

KL Sentral mall most bottom floor has a money changer that gives the same rate as XEChange rate app with no commission (no one charges commission).  Other places I found gave worse rates. Just use KLExpress train from airport to KL Sentral and pay at kiosk with credit card (not manned counter) for 10% discount on fare - becomes RM 45 instead of RM 50 one way.  Uber will cost close to RM 90 and taxis are all rip offs at RM 120.  From KL Sentral you can get just about anywhere.

Le Meridien hotel at KL Sentral was my best stay and I also stayed at Hilton, Stripes and Sheraton.  It's cheap by our standards for 5 Star.

Hope that helps :beerchug:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 8y 11m 6d

Good stuff! 

I'm back foruming again. After a year long Windows 10 phone experiment, I chucked in the towel in frustration and used my wife's old Galaxy S5 for a bit. Forum hasn't worked on Tapatalk for a couple of weeks and would crash on Chrome on the Galaxy (phone was old and generally unstable). 

New phone arrived Monday and it's good to be back on a decent Android phone. I actually liked the Windows phone concept and mobile sites generally made up for the lack of apps. But fark me the thing was glitchy. It got software updates all the time that would fix one thing and break something else. Yay my Bluetooth works properly again! Oh crap now my browser doesn't.