Turbo went booom

PyRo

• Member For: 9y 8m 29d

Hi guys,

Last week, the poor little turbo went and had a heart attack, sounded like it was over boosting and then a metal scraping noise :(

When taking it out, it appeared that the rubber hose to the actuator was split, I couldn't find anything else wrong with it. Any other ideas what may have have caused it?

I was going to purchase a manufactured turbo, however, I can get them through Ford for the same cost thanks to work discount.

She was setup/tuned at Pitlane and driven approximately 130,000km's since the the modifications (170k total). Other than regularly servicing, the only part I have purchased is a brake light switch because of the ABS issue.

The car is running at 320rwkw @15psi with: 

60lb injectors

Stage 2 intercooler

4" to 3.5" stainless steel exhaust

Ported GT3576

I am thinking of ordering:

GT3576

New Gaskets

Two rubber hoses going into the turbo

Actuator (Would it have been modified or the stock one is normally used?)

Braided Oil Lines (If suggested, or do you think generally there is no need?)

Any advise would be great.

Thank you

• ...JD TUNING ADELAIDE...
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 10m 19d

Get your tuner to fit and re tune to suit your engines current capabilities as 130,000kms is a long time for a tune to still be "perfect" 

might be work a call to see if they can supply and fit as you might end up with more options for the same money 

Hi,

We will be fitting it, we change all of our engine / turbos for our race cars already, it's already on the hoist with the turbo removed.

Unfortunately, the misses will not approve another tune, I don't need it to run at maximum, if it runs fine, I have no problem. It was running fine before hand.

If I was going to re-tune, I would buy a bigger turbo, she won't approve that either lol.

As for the parts, I will be ordering direct due to our discount, I am getting the full turbo and housing brand new for the price of just a manufactured without housing change.

Just need to figure these last few things out, then we will hopefully get it fitted up this week

Thank you

• Like 1

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 16y 9d

sounds like you need a new missus who does approve :stirthepot:

who has confirmed if there's not something else that caused the turbo to fail that might cause a replacement to fail in the same way?

Hi,

Unfortunately the ye old ball and chain :(

That is the only fault we can see, that's why I want to replace all of the other components if needed as well.

Will the stock actuator handle the 15psi?

Thank you

• Member For: 6y 9m 28d

I would replace the standard turbo oil line with an earls braided item and inline filter ($150ish), if the standard filter is blocked it'll blow your new turbo aswell, a tune wouldn't hurt either and should only cost a few hundred if the car is already tuned. Prevention is better than a cure! Would the misso rather part out a few hunj or a thousand plus every time a turbo blows

• flame magnet
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 11m 3d

I would keep the original line, but remove the filter altogether. the turbo can easily cope with whatever will be pumped up the line from the sump, but not with lack of oil...

even an earls filter can clog.