Troubleshooting ideas

NathanB

• Member For: 10y 10m 3d

Long story short but symptoms I've got at he moment are;

taking a long time to crank and then start(Note that the battery condition is confirmed good, and fuel pump is confirmed priming and running)

Under any positive boost or load breaks down and sounds like it's pulling timing etc as if it has a bad oxy sensor or fuel pressure.

My xcal4 doesn't show any dtc codes but I have an obd2 adapter I am going to chuck on that shows more pids which I will check tonight. Car idles normally and will rev ok until load or boost is created.

I had a similar issue on my s14 a while back and it turned out to be an oxy sensor. Is there any basic troubleshooting I can do in terms of vacuum leaks or plug/unplug that I can perform that would be common practice.

At work today still so will try anything once I get it home.

I feel like it's potentially a boost leak or vacuum hose that is perished etc. as it used to do this under load in 3rd Gear at low rpm. So I don't think it's a major issue. I have a second car so not afraid to do some diving to try and resolve it.

Also note this happens under either low throttle + load or wot and boost/load.

Cheers for any tips in advance.

Nathan

Yeah might be a new set of coils. Meant to have been a new set when I purchased the car only 1year ago. Also plugs are less than 2000km old and re gapped by tuner 2 weeks ago as part of tune. I'll check the coils though

Appreciate the help though Keith. You always reply so quickly and with great help. Should note tuner is not open today so I didn't have a chance to chat to them about this. But may call them monday

Yeah gonna pull the connectors off and give them a clean too etc etc. cleaned the throttle body last service too when I did my air filter. Do you think it could have thrown that error when it was adjusting "torque" output through throttle body and timing etc when it ran into a fuel issue etc

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

it's possible... clear the code and if it comes straight back you know it isn't caused by something else.

• Like 1

Problem found and diagnosed (over the phone at first) by Simon and the guys at nizpro. He told me before I said yes to an upgraded in tank pump that this is the very reason why he doesn't like them. He subsequently replaced the hose with a much better quality gates submersible version free of charge. Car is running like a dream now.

Photos etc etc

eb5f573bb7aaef11f125748e521876d3.jpg993b6985e4ac3bdada1d1d96459aa307.jpg

And having worked at an auto parts store this stuff feels like really crappy low pressure external fuel line. Even though it has the high pressure braiding and submersible rating etc. it's very very soft. Odd.

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 1d

That hose was kinked. Don't blame the product , blame the install and installer. 

This hose is is used for a reason.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ7HRvJbRVRhpaFClxCAfM

Edited by arronm