lulululululul

3.5 inch turbo back exhaust to stock rear muffler

Hi guys,

New to the forum, usually a lurker but I have a question which I have done some research about but I'm not 100% sure about. 

I have a fg xr6t with supporting mods making 470rwhp. However the car drones way too much at highway speeds even though I have a cat, mid muffler and rear muffler. Recently I replaced the rear muffler with the stock 3 inch muffler. I assume ive lost power but would this be a substantial loss?. Doing some research suggests that it shouldn't harm the engine. 

I prefer the quiet sound while cruising around. I have a varex on the way which ill probably install but if the stock muffler does the job is it worth putting a 3.5inch varex rear muffler?. 

Tl;dr - Is it okay to have an exhaust go from 3.5inch turbo back to 3 inch even with power upgrades. 

It's fine to have it like that. You've probably lost a few ponies, though. Only one way to find out - before and after dyno runs in the same conditions.

:Welcome2FordXR6t:

Hmm that is a good point. Might have to do that. I usually read that getting a turbo back exhaust would require a retune. But if im replacing the rear muffler to a 3 inch would that require a retune?. 

If I use the varex which is a 3.5 inch muffler I assume that I wouldnt need a tune again at all as its back to what it originally was?. 

changing the rear muffler (or the middle muffler) does NOT require a retune.

It's the cat that is the most restrictive part and if you free up that restriction it can overboost with the stock turbo setup.

A varex is totally fine to just install.

Sorry for reviving this thread but hopefully someone answers. I just had a 3.5 inch varex installed onto my 3.5 inch exhaust with 4 inch dump. The exhaust shop however added some tips to the rear muffler that is only 3 inch in diameter. I am wondering will this hinder performance or be bad for the car?. The guy at the shop reckons it wouldnt make a difference but I am looking at getting more power soon.

Thanks in advance

42 minutes ago, lulululululul said:

The exhaust shop however added some tips to the rear muffler that is only 3 inch in diameter.

The grammar says muffler but the context says tips. Which is it?

The rear muffler is 3.5 inch but I had another tip installed to this 3.5 inch rear muffler. I wanted the tip to be minimum 3.5 inches but they installed a 3 inch tip. Hopefully that makes sense. Cheers

Yep it makes sense. 

After the exhaust gas goes through the cat and various exhaust bends I doubt a 3 inch tip will be a restriction.

As hamster balls said the only way to know for sure will be a dyno comparison but that's a waste of money. 

If it bothers you then swap it.