2010 G6 STEREO UPGRADE/ and clunk from D to R?

MisterCum

• Member For: 6y 9m 20d

Hey all! 

Finally got a car that I've drooled over since they came out, the ford g6! 77,000kms, 2010, ex navy (not turbo unfortunately, please don't judge me, I'm on a budget! haha)

I love it, lots, however, I already have some questions/ideas in mind for it...

- I want blutooth and USB/iPod connectivity, but the base model g6 didn't include this... the head unit stereo part looks very...unchangeable. I'd assume I'd have to get it professionally replaced with a G6E stereo unit? Is there anything that I could do to get the same result? The feedback through the aux is a little annoying (coming from a superb custom sound system in a sh*tbox pulsar, it just doesn't cut it). I also want to be able to just jump in the car and my music start playing! I haven't looked into it too much, but does anyone have any suggestions? Remember...budget! hahaha 

- Every morning (or when I first start the car) and slip it into reverse, the whole car kind of jolts, and makes a loud clunk noise, however after the initial gear change it doesn't do it. Perhaps because of the cold engine? Does anyone else have this issue? 

Thanks a bunch! and I'm glad to be a part of this community! :D

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m

welcum to this community.

how to fix your sound system is simple, buy a wrecked FG XR6 turbo and put all the bits into your g6. 

9 minutes ago, MisterCum said:

- Every morning (or when I first start the car) and slip it into reverse, the whole car kind of jolts, and makes a loud clunk noise, however after the initial gear change it doesn't do it. Perhaps because of the cold engine? Does anyone else have this issue?

could be transmission related but it could be worn differential support bushings which is a common problem in these cars.

• Like 1

• Member For: 14y 5m 13d

Stereo wise you can always go aftermarket. Most head units have USB & blue tooth connectivity, some even have BT streaming connectivity & the ability to use the audio controls on the steering wheel. I've looked at a few of the major manufacturers & have seen single DIN units that easily fit in the space below the factory ICC that have all the features I mentioned. Chelk Alpine & Pioneers sites for examples

• Like 1

• Member For: 6y 9m 20d
2 hours ago, skidxr6t said:

welcum to this community.

how to fix your sound system is simple, buy a wrecked FG XR6 turbo and put all the bits into your g6. 

could be transmission related but it could be worn differential support bushings which is a common problem in these cars.

I was worried it cold be the transmission, as I have read several issues with these cars and their transmissions, mainly the ZF Milkshake, but as far as I'm aware that only occurs in the 6 speed G6E, is that right? I'll get it looked at next service, I think I'm just paranoid from owning sh*tboxes my whole life hahaha cheers for the reply

• Manual mode ________________________ All day, erryday
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 4m 4d
14 hours ago, MisterCum said:

but as far as I'm aware that only occurs in the 6 speed G6E, is that right?

Wrong :(

They all do it. BF onwards.

Well, BTRs would also do it from what I've read but were fixable after the fact, I think.

I chose to have my mechanic fit a PWR replacement exchanger with optional braided hoses, this seems to be the kit on their eBay store.  $900.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/PWR-Ford-Falcon-BF-FG-6-Speed-ZF-Auto-Transmission-Oil-Cooler-Kit-Heat-Exchanger-/321934783671

Edited by discostig

• 1 year later...
  • Member For: 5y 9m 5d

RE: Stereo upgrade:     I had Autobarn do a complete install by removing my ICC and tap into/cut the speaker wires in the fixed loom plug behind where the ICC plugs into. They ran RCA splitters to a Kicker amp mounted under my drivers seat and then ran speaker wire back to where the speaker wire had been cut at the loom. They did this for each of the four door speakers which I upgraded at the same time. A set of Pioneer splits in the front doors and upgraded Pioneers speakers in the back doors.  I also had them run a sperate Kicker mono amp mounted under the passenger seat for the subwoofer. This kept everything looking stock apart from the tweeters mounted in the quarter sections of the front windows.  I can still use CD's in the original ICC and I run my iPhone straight into the 3.5mm jack. For Bluetooth connectivity and full phone integration, I ran a Parrot MKI-9200. I had to buy a couple of extra looms to make this fully plug and play (no cutting or splicing necessary). I used an existing factory loom plug for this which sits on the passenger side of the centre console toward the front. I think this plug is used for the original ipod integration?. The Parrot MKI9200 also Bluetooth streams music but sound quality is not that great, so I use it mainly for telephone use.