84mm - 86mm wheel

My_XR6_Turbo

• Member For: 19y 7m 26d

Hey guys, got a couple of questions regarding the turbo wheel size.

#1. Can you fit the 84mm or 86mm turbo wheel by machining the original housing or do you need a different housing?

#2. I've been reading about the wheel size and the larger you go the more lag it causes. So whats the advantage of the larger wheel and how do you get around this lag?

#3. Is it worth putting the large wheel on it or is it better to put something only slightly larger?

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Assuming you meant a 64 or 66 on the compressor wheel on a stock xr6 turbo;

#1. You wouldn't fit either to a stock comp housing, you would use a matching or machined 0.7 housing.

#2. Apples to apples a bigger wheel flows more air. Primarily wheel design and weight affect spool time when comparing comp wheels. After that engine design and other bolt ons combined with tuning affect it.

#3. "Is it worth it" is entirely subjective. If you are only driving in a 60 zone and never anywhere else then you'd want a smaller turbo. If you are solely drag racing and nothing else then you'd want a bigger turbo. Of course there are people who will choose anything in between because of their preference.

• Member For: 10y 10m 4d

Have many people just smashed on a gtx style billet wheel and .7 4inch cover on their factory turbo? Or is it not the done thing? Seeing how cheap some of the billet wheels and covers are makes me curious

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members

@MattyP loves this topic and he has used a billet wheel in a stock housing. 

I've used a gtx wheel in an older style 0.7 housing. 

You should get your turbo balanced after any rotating mass changes.

Just search the forum, there's bound to be more examples. 

• Like 1

• MattyP
  • Cruise Control
  • Member For: 11y 10m 24d

I do love turbo talk

To be fair my billet wheel was a direct fit for my stock 3582 (3540) and I do have a .7 cover for more horny spool noise

Problem with just smashing a backplate, comp housing and wheel on is a very cheap alternative if DIY, But should be balanced.

All these highflow floating around atm are exactly that

• Member For: 20y 11m 27d

I put a Billet GTX wheel on stock front cover and goes great. I also didn't bother balancing mine and its fine. Those billet wheels are very well balanced to start off with.

I think your major hurdle is removing and installing without buggering things up. You really should use a proper torque wrench for the job as many stuff up the turbine shaft by over torquing.

I would do this if it was a good virgin and unmolested turbo. Then you can take the risk that runout of the turbine shaft is good. Otherwise if molested a bit hit and miss and best left to the pros.

• Member For: 10y 10m 4d

Would you then recommend if doing it to then get it balanced after it's been re-assembled? And is that just the Chra itself? I did read that thread turbotrana where you did yours and it got me interested.

If you look up billet gtx 3582r wheel you'll see that mamba and kinugawa and other Chinese suppliers sell the wheels and also comp covers with backplates.

Probably 400-500$$ all said and done.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
33 minutes ago, NathanB said:

Would you then recommend if doing it to then get it balanced after it's been re-assembled? And is that just the Chra itself?

11 hours ago, Puffwagon said:

You should get your turbo balanced after any rotating mass changes.

It might not need balancing after fitting another wheel but you should check it. I paid $100 to get mine checked and fwiw it didn't need balancing. It was a genuine gtx wheel going onto a fairly low km genuine garrett core so that might have had something to do with it. Cheap parts may not have the same results. You won't know if it's safe unless you check.

Have a read of this.

• Like 1