Possible headgasket

molch

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 26d

Got the car started on the weekend and it's not a good diagnosis. Still low on compression across cylinders the same as when I started. So it's engine out and bottom end inspection next. 

Going to call te shop that did the head and chat about pistons and rods but wanted to see what people on here say.

im looking at all the usual suspects mahle, Manley, cp, and the atomic cosworth $$, with suitable rods. What's the general consensus of materials and compression ratios? 

The set of Manley ones in looking at have two compression options . 8.5:1 or 9.0:1. I was thinking of going the slightly higher to increase low down torque (albeit ever so slightly) has anyone used these? 

http://www.manleyperformance.com/sc/mk/ford/xr6_pistons.shtml

• Donating Members

Battery has plenty of charge and Yeah pretty sure the tester is ok because it comes up to 160 for number 6 and the rest are between 90-120!

I did check the piston height by a Dowel before stripping head and again when the head was off and everything appeared ok from my rough check. I didn't check with mm precision so that's a possibility still. Either rods are slight bent or rings or ringlands. Will try and pull the engine out this weekend or next and get it on a stand for a proper check. 

Owell atleast I'm learning along the way. 

• Like 1

• Donating Members

All good, along the way I keep talking myself into upgrades so the bill keeps adding up but I got a long way to go yet. haven't decided on a what Ill do for the drivetrain once its going again so will have to take it easy for a while.

So far added the following bits to the build:

atomic chain and guides

atomic oil pump with billet gears

process west surge with twin 460's 

process west dual entry rail

arp head studs

now im looking at

pistons

rods

girdle

arp studs

flexplate

I think that would be it for engine after that.

• Donating Members

I've got all the usual tools but I don't yet have a engine Crane or stand so organsiing those soon. I'll get hypoformance to do the machining, balancing and assembly work.