Axle Tramp Fix

powelmac

• Member For: 7y 11m 16d

After spending buckets on the suspension setup on my fg f6 manual ute, tramp was still horrible, went through 3 built CV's, even after re-valved bilstein shocks and super pro bushes nothing helped, especially the pedders lowered leafs which are garbage (snapped the centre pin and actually bent a whole leaf spring). I did a bit of research as I didn't want tramp rods and came across a half rebound leaf that sits at the top of the leaf pack from the centre bolt to the front eye to stop the leaf winding up. Called up around town for various quotes, bloke at bedders Moorabbin said it would never stop tramp (clueless), Moorabbin spring works were quite expensive, and finally got a reasonable quote from Damien at suspension city north Melbourne (great dude) so I went to the wreckers and picked up a set of kings leafs of a BA for $100 and Damien took care of the rest, around $500-600 from what I can remember and even gave me a discount off the original quote.

Anyway, tramp is now effectively ZERO, I can now use launch control, dump it in 2nd and it just lights the tyres up. 

I have attached a picture of someone elses.      http://media.turbosport.co.uk/2006/8/2006081612343345337.gif

I advise anyone with tramp issues to try this before spending buckets on other methods (like me)

• Like 2

• Moar Powar Babeh
  • Lifetime Members
  • Member For: 18y 6m 6d

Thanks for sharing, reverse wrap is pretty old school but works, I ran them on my ba turbo ute back in the day and they and some koni reds sorted it.

Edited by Ralph Wiggum

• Silver Donating Members
  • Member For: 10y 1m 17d

@powelmac Your thread has impeccable timing, I dropped into Allsprings just yesterday and that's what they were suggesting, claimed to have them on one of the quicker xr8 utes in the country.

Was sifting through a few axle tramp threads but couldn't find any feedback on such a fix.

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'll be doing the same now.

• Member For: 7y 11m 16d

As it's lowered around 50mm ground clearance is already a pain in the ass, also mal woods tramp rods don't go that well with lowered utes, and caltracs stick out like dogs balls. Some of the CV problems I had were also because of the pedders leafs I had in, they were too soft and it squatted too much on acceleration (usually 2nd gear) and the pinion angle would rise up and just pop the CV

6 hours ago, camo86T said:

@powelmac Your thread has impeccable timing, I dropped into Allsprings just yesterday and that's what they were suggesting, claimed to have them on one of the quicker xr8 utes in the country.

Was sifting through a few axle tramp threads but couldn't find any feedback on such a fix.

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'll be doing the same now.

Yeah mate give it a shot, definitely worked for me and pretty cost effective without compromising ride/handling characteristics

• Like 1

• skids
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 11y 3m 1d
22 hours ago, powelmac said:

I have attached a picture of someone elses.      http://media.turbosport.co.uk/2006/8/2006081612343345337.gif

I cant tell the leaf from the spring

are the top two modified and the bottom standard?