powelmac

Axle Tramp Fix

After spending buckets on the suspension setup on my fg f6 manual ute, tramp was still horrible, went through 3 built CV's, even after re-valved bilstein shocks and super pro bushes nothing helped, especially the pedders lowered leafs which are garbage (snapped the centre pin and actually bent a whole leaf spring). I did a bit of research as I didn't want tramp rods and came across a half rebound leaf that sits at the top of the leaf pack from the centre bolt to the front eye to stop the leaf winding up. Called up around town for various quotes, bloke at bedders Moorabbin said it would never stop tramp (clueless), Moorabbin spring works were quite expensive, and finally got a reasonable quote from Damien at suspension city north Melbourne (great dude) so I went to the wreckers and picked up a set of kings leafs of a BA for $100 and Damien took care of the rest, around $500-600 from what I can remember and even gave me a discount off the original quote.

Anyway, tramp is now effectively ZERO, I can now use launch control, dump it in 2nd and it just lights the tyres up. 

I have attached a picture of someone elses.      http://media.turbosport.co.uk/2006/8/2006081612343345337.gif

I advise anyone with tramp issues to try this before spending buckets on other methods (like me)

Thanks for sharing, reverse wrap is pretty old school but works, I ran them on my ba turbo ute back in the day and they and some koni reds sorted it.

Edited by Ralph Wiggum

@powelmac Your thread has impeccable timing, I dropped into Allsprings just yesterday and that's what they were suggesting, claimed to have them on one of the quicker xr8 utes in the country.

Was sifting through a few axle tramp threads but couldn't find any feedback on such a fix.

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'll be doing the same now.

As it's lowered around 50mm ground clearance is already a pain in the ass, also mal woods tramp rods don't go that well with lowered utes, and caltracs stick out like dogs balls. Some of the CV problems I had were also because of the pedders leafs I had in, they were too soft and it squatted too much on acceleration (usually 2nd gear) and the pinion angle would rise up and just pop the CV

6 hours ago, camo86T said:

@powelmac Your thread has impeccable timing, I dropped into Allsprings just yesterday and that's what they were suggesting, claimed to have them on one of the quicker xr8 utes in the country.

Was sifting through a few axle tramp threads but couldn't find any feedback on such a fix.

Thanks for the heads up! Looks like I'll be doing the same now.

Yeah mate give it a shot, definitely worked for me and pretty cost effective without compromising ride/handling characteristics

19 hours ago, OZYWALKER said:

I probably should have done this......

19 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Yeah nah, your setup is tits.

^^yeh that 

@OZYWALKER

IMG_20170518_120046.jpg

Ive got a set of traction bars off Jayson Scott out of Mackay

similar to Mal woods kit but different & half the price

works fine on my Lowered fg ute with king ssl leafs

Just run 9.85 @140 with them no probs

Not sure if Jason shares his pics of them openly in case they get copied

try his mob 0407 378 969

good honest guy to deal with

easy to fit all bits supplied shipped to your door

Edited by shredder
more info inserted

lol in case they get copied but his are similar to mal wood?

that hurts my head

what stops me crawling under your car taking a photo and uploading here anyways whats with the secrecy ? 

All this secret squirrel stuff haha
Plenty of pics of mal woods kit, plenty of pics of the performance suspension 5 link and McDonald bros 5 link, even a heap of pics of caltracs.

Have seen one "copy" set of the mal wood style kit so far, don't see how a few pics will start people copying it, just doesn't seem to happen.

Just now, OZYWALKER said:

don't see how a few pics will start people copying it, just doesn't seem to happen.

Most people don't have the knowledge to copy stuff. Out of those that could copy it a lot of them don't have the tools or work space. Out of all of those people remaining plenty of them have full time jobs and would rather keep their free time which leads us to this quote;

7 minutes ago, OZYWALKER said:

Have seen one "copy" set of the mal wood style kit so far,

Just my 2 cents anyway.

58 minutes ago, OZYWALKER said:

All this secret squirrel stuff haha
Plenty of pics of mal woods kit, plenty of pics of the performance suspension 5 link and McDonald bros 5 link, even a heap of pics of caltracs.

Have seen one "copy" set of the mal wood style kit so far, don't see how a few pics will start people copying it, just doesn't seem to happen.

so many places make a version and this jason guy doesnt want his copied hhaha

So is it basically half a leaf bolted on the front of the leaf pack upside down? Ive been wanting a fix for my tramp for years but Malwoods are just too expensive & Caltracks hang too low. YouTube: "work ute vs 86" & you can see how much I squat on launch and second gear change. I don't do burnouts because they more represent a jackhammer than a skid. King springs 3/4ton equivalent, stock everything else

That's my understanding of it.

I don't do burnouts for the same reason.

Better shocks help - tramp has definitely reduced since I fitted koni reds on the rear, even though I put kings ssl leaves in at the same time (potentially making it far worse).

Also may be worth checking whether your axles are bent

Doesn't matter how much you spend, you can't get a more positive feeling than the caltracs, you can feel them pushing the axle down when you get on the power.

ive never had tramp in my ute,

even now with saggy ssls in the rear stock shocks. no tramp at drags either. touch wood. hahah

I am looking for new shocks eventually hopefully that doesnt create any tramp eek

Given my DIY tramp rods a work out over the last few days and it's completely gone. 1 to 2 to 3rd power skids on varying surfaces dry/wet and it's all sweet. Might consider tensioning them up for a trip to the drags to pull the pinion down abit. But they are fine on the street with no tension on em. Without a doubt the best non power related mod iv done to the ute

Got my leaf springs modified with a half rebound leaf as per @powelmac and fitted them this morning

Only drama was with the extra leaf my U-bolts were out of length, so following this thread I unbolted the pack and got rid of the small bottom leaf.

Took it for a decent hit this arvo, apart from feeling it has enough power to tear a hole in the horizon (after 2 weeks of driving a Hino) the rear end feels great. Not a hint of tramp, and doesn't hook up too bad either, from third gear roll ons that is.

@Ford Freak FYI

Looks very unexciting but seems to work well, will update how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

zrw4QgRyOJKjqo-LCc9dMIRDs701-wktybMiHjN8

NNj7kNUVqWivuw3ajldOHz4xR8FLDrrlSy3EDQcJ