BA wagon turbo conversion using ford parts

Lunchietey

• Member For: 13y 7m 25d

Was tempted to do the exhaust side as the factory return line is right there at the bottom. If that can be done easily enough with the exhaust removed, I'll do that and tap the heater hose for the inlet. 

Awesome!

So looks like I should get 2 weeks in the second half of March to do the majority of the work.

I decided to get a new wastegate as I am not actually sure of the condition of it, and not using an EBC means I am relying on a working gate.

Going to order an IWG from turbosmart and can't decide on 5 or 7 psi. I will be using stock injectors with the 4 bar XR6T regulator and all other stock XR6T turbo parts including the exhaust (modded to fit the wagon).

Will everything support the 7 psi spring or should I play it safe with the 5psi version?

Edited by Lunchietey

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

You basically choose a wastegate strength rating by what you want your "minimum" boost delivery to be if you're shooting for reasonably low boost. With good tuning and reasonable mechanical condition of supporting parts, the wastegate should be able to hold roughly double it's rating at maximum, but it won't be a nice boost curve at it's maximum capacity.

Being an NA block, I believe 9-10psi is my realistic maximum anyway, just wondering if 7psi was doable with what I'll be doing. I'm 'assuming' it will be ok, just hoping to get someone who knows for sure!

Edited by Lunchietey

• 1 month later...

Made a small start before my shifts started. Immediately discovered no hole for intercooler pipe(bottom hose) and that even though there are holes that line up with the intercooler brackets, they do NOT allow the intercooler to fit. 

Chickened out and went 5 psi wastegate for now haha. Also found a split in one of the intercooler hoses(replacement located) and also realised I need to order the MAP adaptor loom(easier than replacing the plug) 

Also need to figure out how to replace the steel lines for the heater pipes as I've never done them before but sure it can't be TOO hard lol. Oh well got some time off starting Wednesday to figure it all out!

Ok so before my nightshifts, I have moved the trans cooler back(big aftermarket type) against the rad for full room for the cooler. Top pipe looks easy enough but the hot pipe looks like metal needs cutting on a wagon to get it to fit.

Does an xr6t have a hole in the rail or something? On the wagon it looks like pretty solid metal or does the hose go under the rail?

Anyone have a good pic of where the hot pipe goes at the front corner?

Edited by Lunchietey