BA wagon turbo conversion using ford parts

Lunchietey

• Member For: 13y 7m 26d

Exhaust done!

Downside is now that the noise had dropped to a nice burble, I can clearly hear an exhaust leak on the turbo. Seems to be(from what I and the exhaust shop guy with his stethoscope type tool can tell) on the top, near the join between the exhaust housing and the oil port. Ugh now wtf does that mean

Haha, did a couple of full throttle runs, while obviously not a 700hp weapon or anything, the Torque Pro measured 5.9 0-100 with a light stall sure made me giggle even on this base tune at 5.5psi(that's what it seems to peak at) on 3.23 ratio is pretty fun. Still have a monster exhaust leak near/on the turbo too which I hopefully can do something about. 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 19d

Sounds like you're having a lot of fun ;)

fix up that exhaust leak, and it'll be spooling even faster, most likely :spoton:

My wife was in hospital last night(she's ok at the moment) and once she's up and about I'll see if I can fix that leak! Hopefully it's just something small!

Pic of 3" over diff from XR6T centre muffler. Custom fabbed by Carline in Rockingham. Nice work!

m7e3kl.jpg

Edited by Lunchietey
  • Like 1

So the turbo leak(if you hadn't seen my other thread) was from a lost exhaust housing bolt likely caused by a cracked rear housing. Put a new bolt in and it so far has been fine. Will check the bolt in a few days on my break.

Get an odd fuel smell which I have looked at under the bonnet but can't see anything. Im assuming for now this tune may be rich(was a preliminary flash anyway and will be redone soon) or potentially an injector is leaking etc. 

Im seriously considering getting a decent injector clean and new orings. Unsure of the cars history so won't hurt!

I have also had a few codes relating to rpm limit(guessing its simply that its hit limiter in first a few times) and also a couple relating to TPS(tps is a new and genuine part fitted before the conversion)

Ive always had a jerky cruise control and what feels like odd but gentle surging at very light throttle. TB is very clean so maybe the TB stepper motor isn't the best?

Edited by Lunchietey

Well, swapped TBs over, no difference even using the other tps too. Was a little better maybe, but stupid stalling second time I drove it.

Seems to start fine, idles up a bit then almost dies, shakes like sh*t with the cel lit, and wont rev at all.

Stop and restart and all good...

• 4 months later...

Update for anyone reading this.

Car is running well on same tune. Barely stalls anymore unless I do specific things on start up. Can drive it so it doesn't do the stalling in other words(if it doesn't try and stall in the first 60 seconds it wont do it later and it only does it if I reverse and take more than a few seconds to go into D. If I do it quickly there's no issue)

Cold mornings mean flooring in first means wheelspin on 245s(stock diff) and still thoroughly enjoying the power. Average fuel consumption (mostly urban and shorter trips) is 15.5l/100 according to the dash. Will have a fuel card shortly that will show more accurate numbers but it's not THAT bad now. Blows a cloud when I give it some though but that's only really noticable at night with headlight beams of the cars behind lol.

Once life stops throwing me curve balls, I'll be getting the bigger pump in(just as insurance) eventually fitting the LSD and then get the injectors cleaned and get a proper tune on a dyno by @Ralph Wiggum. Was going to do it sooner but his guess at an initial tune was pretty good hahaha. 

Still does a wierd surging at very light throttle but cannot figure that one out. Also need the exhaust sorted out as the stock center muffler sits a bit low. I think its because it's a sedan centre pipe but a ute may fit better? Dunno if they are different but this one can't get any higher and it sits low. Probably just get a 3" straight through muffler and replace the cat with a 200cpi before the final tune.

Edited by Lunchietey
  • Like 1