Where to go after R888

sixman

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 19y 8m 6d

The R888 barely lasted 12000km. Great straight line grip, noisy, dangerous in the wet.

Not sure what to try next. There is a newer R888R which is supposed to be better.

Suggestions?

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 3d

Leaning towards street/wet ability or track?

Width is your friend.

Have you maxed your rear rim width?

Yokohama AD08R, Bridgestone RE-71R, Dunlop Direzza Star Spec 2 in a wider spec might do the job and suit yor requirements even though they are a 200 tread wear tyre spec.

From  experience R888 is at the bottom end of the 100 treadwear R specs in out right grip. Lower the number/stickier they are usually.

Nitto NT01 same compound as the Toyo's and a lot cheaper. Even Nankang are making some tasty cost effective semi's now. AR1 are very cheap and sticky.

Far superior grip will be achieved with a "proper" R spec like a Hankook Ventus TD Z221 or Yokohama A050 but forget life. Depends how serious you are about grip/life/$ to throw away.

If you don't need lateral grip for corners, then an MT street is your best bet.

• Like 1

• Donating Members

Great feedback, thanks!

Predominantly a street car, so want a street legal tyre. I have 9.5 inch rims on the back.

Given up on longevity, prefer grip. I have 420rwkw in a manual with fast spool. The r888 was actually pretty good in the dry with the wheels straight.

Should add currently running 265 30 19 on the back.

Have had Goodyear F1A2 (not bad) and Michelin PSS (meh) before

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 15y 9m 3d

19" really limits you then :(

Have seen some real good deals on Continental Contiforcecontact. Only 80 tread wear. Wont last long though but sticky.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or Pirelle Trofeo are other options but very expensive.

AD08R comes in a 275 30 19 which would be a good street tyre and also fit easily on a 9.5" rim.

285 fit on the rear of 9.5" rims too. Gives you access to the ZP Michelins and Race version of the Sportsmaxx.

• Donating Members

Hmm, I should have looked at 18 inch rims. When I went wider 3 years ago it never occurred to me that 19 inch would limit tyre choice. Guessing the bigger sidewall improves performance as well.

The AD08R look good, you rate them better for dry grip than the R888? The new R888R is supposed to be considerably quiter. However, aquaplaning at only 30km/hr doesnt inspire confidence. 

I have a Focus RS due in July, might relegate the falcon to dry conditions only!

There is also a new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S just released in the US.

Edited by sixman
Spelling
  • Like 1

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 7m 12d

I had the R888's on before the RS3's, drove them in the rain with no issues at all.

Anyone who has R888's on there car needs to immediately drop the tyre pressure down to 25-26 psi.

Give the car a hit and report back, you will be amazed.

3 hours ago, nelsonian101 said:

Have seen some real good deals on Continental Contiforcecontact. Only 80 tread wear. Wont last long though but sticky.

Haha, bought these on Saturday, 305 30 19 $275 each fitted and balanced, so far now where near as good as the R888's but I'll see how they go.

R888's were about $550 each :(

Give these a try sixman

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/275-35-R19-2753519-275-35-19-275-35r19-Hankook-Ventus-R-S3-Tyre-/232036661989?hash=item3606767ae5:g:Cs4AAOSwezVWxprp

• Donating Members
  • Member For: 13y 2m 19d

I've always rated the Michelin PSS, love them in 275/40/18 with 409rwkw. I'm keen to give the PS4S a go, they're a new generation that combine the pilot sport cup 2? With the PSS and Michelin claim that they've used knowledge gained from Formula E.

I doubt in the same class as R spec semis but the Michilins do excel at lasting and providing grip.

I am considering giving the cheap nangkang semis a try for the track.