Current street tyre top 10?

grandpa_spec

• RNS10S
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 17y 8m 1d

Street tyre for me means a tyre that is legal to drive on public roads in your state.

An ET or Drag radial is not, and if you get pulled over by a cop that has any idea you will be bent over.

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 2m 19d
2 hours ago, rednose said:

I think he means street tyres, not radials

Most of today's tyres are radials. Radial or crossply construction has little to do with grip or whether it is a legal street tyre.

57 minutes ago, rednose said:

Street tyre for me means a tyre that is legal to drive on public roads in your state.

Agreed. There is a difference between states as to what is legal for street use. Almost all semi slicks are legal provided they meet the state laws and other associated characteristics shown in the link above.

27 minutes ago, grandpa_spec said:

Yes , a normal everyday tyre

Is what I use whether it is an ordinary looking 235 or a legal low tread wear semi slick.

The point I'm driving here overall is that you can't discount a "semi slick" as a street tyre as even that word has a very loose definition.

At the end of the day a street tyre is what is legal in your area much the same as a 3500hp "street car" is legal to drive in various parts of the world.

1 hour ago, JETURBO said:

This is my point, it's not simple when you get into it ;) 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • Donating Members
  • Member For: 6y 5m 26d

IMHO a street tyre is whatever you can put on the car, drive it around and not be forced to donate to the policemans ball....

So if it is a semi slick that is legal on the road, I take that as a street tyre. (this does rule out a lot of semi slicks as the profiles do not meet vehicle manufacturer specs) so for a lot of falcons it rules out widths such as 275 etc.

Keep in mind the above also means that the tyres meet regs such as tracking and diameter sizes.....I don't see a difference between a high performance low profile tyre and a semi slick other than your sphincter muscle clenches a bit tighter in the wet when using semi slicks.......

For me the problem is that the constabulary don't really know what is legal size and what is not, and likely to give you a defect and let you fight it in court. Prior to ordering a set of kumho semi slicks for street use, I went to the local cop shop to check on legal sizes etc, the walloper behind the counter had no idea, but the traffic squad was there and a senior traffic cop from Brisbane as well. Their response was basically crap, and had no idea. Their solution was to send me to the Transport Department to get clarification. Got a full printout of what is legal for tyre sizing etc from very friendly staff. (Grandma behind the counter even asked if I would show her the tyres after fitting and wants to go for a drive in it as her deceased husband was a revhead)!!!!