Hi flow cat without a tune

jollyjim81

• Member For: 11y

I'm in the same boat- except I had to do the cat replacement when my factory unit literally broke off- now learning to exercise a light right foot and it's harder than I thought it would be!
Also got the engine warning lamp as Puffwagon said.
Just waiting in line now for the tooooon to happen

• Member For: 11y

He was close LOL and I'm SO looking forward to it! Even though we're only going mild, it'll still be fun :beerchug:

@jollyjim81 yeah I thought mine might be too till it fell onto the ground - scraping my driveway everyday for 4 years I think just over stressed the flange crease and it cracked thru completely.

• 7 months later...
  • Member For: 6y 4m 28d

How can a high flow cat install really endanger the engine? The turbo has boost control to avoid overboosting. How does it differ from putting a muffler delete pipe in which allows less exhaust restriction . 

• less WHY; more WOT
  • Site Developer
  • Member For: 15y 11m 18d

The factory "boost control" can only do so much. Overboost is possible with more flow than the other stock mechanical components can maintain. The stock GT3582R turbo (and the stock FG XR6T turbocharger, although not quite as capable) is far more capable than the other supporting stock parts.

The high flow cat increases flow of air away from the turbo much much faster than stock, whereas removing only a muffler just makes the car a little louder, but hardly increases air flow in comparison.

• Like 1

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

The factory boost control is designed to work with factory parts and will catch the rising boost curve in time so it doesn't overboost. 

When you derestrict it with intake and exhaust mods the boost will rise quicker and earlier which the boost maps aren't tuned for. 

It'll trigger 'overboost' which isn't the end of the world but obviously should be avoided. 

You could swap various parts and just drive around it eg: give it half or 3/4 throttle without doing any damage but the proper thing to do is get it tuned.