Hi flow cat without a tune

jollyjim81

• Member For: 7y 13d

Hi anyone...first time posting here. I've got an FG xr6t with 150k on clock..I've had it for about 2 months now and feel it's down on power..I could be getting use to it but doesn't punch you back in seat as I remember...I've checked all intake piping and no leaks and also down the wd40 trick on turbo boost solenoid...I'm left thinking the catalytic converter has blocked up...I've been able to source a high flow one and plan to install but I am due to drive from karratha back to Brisbane a day or to after the hiflow cat has arrived. What are the likely consequences that I drive car without a tune from karratha to Brisbane about 5000km with hiflow cat in place?Ideally I would like to also do further modifications to the car before I had to pony up dollars for a tune as I plan on doing intercooler, boost and injector upgrades.

I'm dyslexic and cannot turn off simple functions in tapatalk

• Puff
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 9y 1m 28d

Tighten your turbo and exhaust manifold nuts and bolts.

If you don't give it a hiding on your drive then it is likely that nothing will happen. You might get an engine light due to the rear O2 sensor reading differently from stock.

You can swap the intercooler and cat/exhaust without a tune but you'll have to drive off boost more or less until it's tuned. You can't swap the injectors or raise the boost without a tune.

You will be better off buying all your parts and then dumping it all at the tuners for fitting and tuning. That way you will only pay for one tune.

Go all out and do it once to save money in the long run.

Thanks puff wagon..as stated I'm in karratha and no ford dealer up here but another agent that can source parts..thought should just go standard for drive back as maybe a couple of hundred... Ford cat converter he quoted $1600... WTF.. I clarified for half a meter of exhaust.... OK happy to go after market hi flow... thanks mate.

• Member For: 8y 11m 21d

Seems like a lot of hard work to me.

Just wait till ya get back to Brissy. Get a high cat there...

Or pop ya back seat down run the exhaust from boot through the car and out the passengers side window and wrap some duct tape around the mirror to stop it flopping around.:ermm:

Everything the Puff-daddy said is spot on the money...

Doesn't really make a big difference if I get hiflow here or Brisbane as still reluctant to want to tune just for a cat replacement...also figure likely to get better economy driving back with hiflow cat as turbo working properly.

I'm dyslexic and cannot turn off simple functions in tapatalk

• To Loud
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 12y 3m 27d

As has already been said, if you put the high flow cat in, then stay off the boost.

I am pretty sure that will be hard to do, especially if you have the urge to over take.

Now that you mention top speed runs..... I would be more inclined to keep the stock CAT in there and boost it as much as you can.

Might get it flowing again.... :P

Edited by masda74
spelling.