Surge tank pumps and pump pressure

el-dub801

• Member For: 12y 11d

Ive run this tank/fuel system combo for a couple years before this happened. Its strange for it to crack now. 

Been pretty happy with all my Process West parts to be honest.

• 2 weeks later...

So, it happened again... Racking my brain as to what could be causing it.

The obvious says that there's too much pressure inside the tank - but why??

This time I noted several occurrences prior to it cracking:

1. After several starts (when the surge tank was out and running on its oem fuel system) it ran very rich, black smoke and stalling. Cleared once engine was off/on cycled at least 4 times.

2. Once the surge tank was refitted, engine started and ran. Turned off after 5 seconds to check under car for fuel leaks etc After second start, Bosch pump sounded like it was under immense pressure like it was pumping to nowhere - then CRACK and SPLASH.

That was at 6pm, so I left it. I have a feeling I have one of two problems - a dodgy fuel regulator (car is 11 years old and has been modified since 2011 AND sat for 4 years) or there's a blockage in the return line to the tank. All sensors have been logged in regards to the running rich and nothing looked out of place.

I'll check the return to eliminate that as its probably the easiest to rule out. As for the fuel reg, I'll replace it anyway as its not a pricey item. In regards to the regulator, I've read of blueprinted versions of the 4 bar Bosch regulators being on the market - is this true? and if so, where do I get one??

Thanks In Advance...

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

It's now pretty obvious you are over pressurizing the surge. 

It is splitting from the inside where both parent metals join. 

Edited by arronm

@arronm I would definately think so too. It wouldn't have been designed as a pressure vessel either, so I could have the welds re-done all the way around but I would still have that high pressure situation.

Heres my theory - the pump is flowing max pressure through the rail, back through the return line and back into the surge tank as well as the in-tank pump and maybe the return cant cope (or is blocked) Max pressure from both pumps would have to be in excess of 120ish psi (??)

This would also be reason for intermitantly running rich - high ass fuel pressure -> rich mixtures at idle.

Blocked return - highly unlikely but couldnt quite write that off unless I actually check it.

Thoughts???

• Dropping a turd
  • Gold Donating Members
  • Member For: 16y 5m 23d

Mate you need to go through each connection to make sure each is correct and in the correct location  

check pressures and return fuel lines.  It's trial and elimination.   Once sorted just weld up the tank again.